Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less.

TwistedCU

Read and "sign" the petition if you are so inclined. I did.

American Solutions - Petitions

We, therefore, the undersigned citizens of the United States, petition the U.S. Congress to act immediately to lower gasoline prices (and diesel and other fuel prices)* by authorizing the exploration of proven energy reserves to reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources from unstable countries.

Not very much information on that website. Is this a petition to drill in the Arctic wildlife refuge?

Not very much information on that website. Is this a petition to drill in the Arctic wildlife refuge?
Terry:
I can't tell from your question whether you are for or against drilling in ANWR. However, there has been so much negative speak about such action from the various environmental wackos and the media taking sides against such action, rather than merely reporting the facts, I thought that I would explain the cause for drilling there.
First, the pictures you've seen in the media of the location for drilling in ANWR are all bogus. The actual location is in an area that is currently uninhabitable by anyone or any animal. It is covered with permafrost, it reaches 70 degrees below zero in the winter without the wind chill which then sends it to minus 120, no one, repeat, no one has ever visited there for a vacation, unlike Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. If being pristine is a criteria for not violating the space, then why don't we shut down the donkey trips into the Grand Canyon, or the Snow Mobiles in Yellowstone, or the rafting in the GC?
Second, it's not just about the ANWR. It's about the Congress of the US holding the rest of the country hostage to a few States' objections to drilling off shore. Senator Warner of Virginia proposed releasing the ban to allow each state to decide for itself, but was turned down by the Senate. We have California (that bastion of knowing what's good for everyone else) and the southeastern states from Florida to Virginia with proven reserves that are holding the country hostage. Actually the governor of Florida has supported lifting the drilling ban and the majority of the people of Virginia side with Senator Warner. I'm not sure where Gerogia, South Carolina and North Carolina stand on the issue.
The whole point of the petition is to send a message to both of the major parties that the American people are against their high falutin attitude and want a say in the direction this country takes to energy independence. It would be niceif all of the so-called renewable options would solve the problem. The simple fact is that all of them are just too expensive right now to be viable alternatives to oil, coal and nuclear energy. I, as many others, would like the country to move toward less carbon energy and more hydrogen energy; however, that is a few years off. We need to take advantage of all forms of energy in the meantime, or be beholding to a bunch of unreliable despots in unreliable countries.
Hope this helps.
Hank

Last edited:

I say drill offshore and ANWR, but do it responsibly...not a free for all.
Where it gets cloudy to me is the claims that all our refineries are supposedly at capacity and they haven't built any new ones in ages. So the question becomes can we refine it if they do tap into new resources or was the refinery issue just an excuse to raise prices?

I think the idea is not that our refineries will produce more gas with home grown oil(never heard of anybody running out), but rather that we will need less foreign oil to make our gas. That means more independence. Also, our increase in supply should also drive the price down on the world market.

I have always wondered why we are too good to drill here. It seems kind of elitist to me. If drilling oil is so bad, shouldn't we be against using/importing oil and not just against drilling here? Whatever oil we are using is the result of some drilling somewhere. From an environmental perspective, is our environment more valuable than theirs? It seems hypocritical to be against drilling and yet still consume oil from anywhere. And if drilling is so bad, don't we think that we, of all countries, can control it and do it in a manner that is as environmentally friendly as possible? I have a hard time believing all these mideast countries and Russia are taking care of the environment as well as we would. It seems like if we need X barrels of oil and we can get it here or from some foreign entity, we could have more control, a better price, and equal or less net enviromental impact by staying local. But what do I know?

Any drilling that takes place will be done under the eye of every watchdog group known to man. We need for Congress to allow the exploration of our resources, the tapping of the existing resources, and most importantly research for VIABLE alternatives.

Our dependence on foreign oil that is provided by nations that hate us is a serious crisis. I often think back to the days after 9/11 when the footage on the television showed mobs of people jumping up and down in the streets cheering and chanting "jihad". We need their oil and they get wealthier as time progresses.

Gas prices will start to come down as soon as we step in the right direction.

Listening to the author of this petition on a local AM station, I was under the impression that the petition addressed drilling of our own resources here in the US. Personally, I'm good with drilling wherever we can. I think it is unrealistic to think it will threaten the caribou or melt all the icebergs any faster. That is propaganda by the likes of Al Gore and his crusade to force us into being "greener" through things like high gas prices.

I think Kuwait owes us a lot of "cheap" oil for bailing out their rears in the Gulf War.

After all that is why Iraq invaded in the 1st place...to take control of Kuwait's oil.

And to go a step further Iraq owes us as well for getting rid of Saddam Hussein...

And what about Pakistan...Saudi Arabia...Japan and Germany (post-WWII)...

the list can go on and on...yet we (US) get no respect.

I say to heck with diplomacy...it's pay-back time for all of our assistance in helping these countries become free and prosperous!

Larry

If Kuwait and Iraq gave us oil, that would validate the claims that America only gets involved in conflicts when there is oil at stake.

Funny thing about that, I don't recall there being any oil in Europe, Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada or Bosnia.

Thanks for posting the link. I listen to the same guy on AM and kept meaning to sign the petition. You reminded me.

If Kuwait and Iraq gave us oil, that would validate the claims that America only gets involved in conflicts when there is oil at stake.

Sad thing Red is that the same people will say that anyway...regardless.

Funny thing about that, I don't recall there being any oil in Europe, Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada or Bosnia

This makes my point Red that it's not just about oil...it's about a lack of gratitude from those you try to help.

We are the only country on a grand scale that gives of our time, resources, and American lives to help others who are oppressed, victims of disasters and/or displaced...asking nothing in return.

I think it's about time we get some "global" appreciation.. and it starts here at home.

Larry

Funny thing about that, I don't recall there being any oil in Europe, Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada or Bosnia.
True, and it should also be mentioned that we do not want the world to be able to claim that we are acting as mercenaries, a mere gun for hire in it for profit. I mean, there are always motivations, but cash is one that is frowned upon.

The "No blood for oil" crowd would have a legitimate gripe if we actually fought for our own financial gain or for lower oil prices. I know I would not be willing to send my kid to battle for such a purpose. Fortunately, the "No blood for oil" crowd are chanting a worthless cry. They'll never admit it though.

I have to admit, I find it odd that every environmentalist in the country is up in arms about drilling here... Now, firstly, I'm a pretty green sort of fellow... I ride my bike, I compost, I prefer to use sunlight or candles when possible, computer's controlling lights and fans in the house so when they're not needed, they're not on... So on, and so forth... Could I do more, well, couldn't we all, but the point is, I do care about my environment...

Thing is, in this country, we have probably some of the strictest standards for nearly everything... Food quality, building codes, and, I would imagine, drilling for oil. Just because we get it from overseas does NOT mean that the planet is safe, or the environment unscathed... Somehow, I don't think that any of the powers that be running a middle eastern, or South American oil field give two cents notice whether or not baby seals are covered in oil, or coral reefs are smashed up. At least when you drill in your own backyard, you can look out the kitchen window and keep an eye on the proceedings.

The arguement that it's going to take 5 years to get said oil, so it's not worth our time boggles my mind... 5 years from today is a lot better than 5 years from 5 years from now, nevermind the fact that it's just not a good arguement... If the founding fathers had that attitude, well, where would we be? "I think we should fight for independence... Yeah, but it's going to take a while, not going to happen overnight. Oh, forget it then..." I absolutely believe that we need to keep going in the search for alternative, better, and cleaner fuels, but the point is, our infrastructure is based on petroleum, has been for nearly 100 years or so. How many hundreds of thousands of cars are on the road right now? Can't forget the present when you look to the future...

not to worry, if a few people in congress have their way, the "government" will nationalize the big oil companies and take over their operations and subsidize the prices and regulate everything. no more problems....right?

First I've heard of that. Smells of Communism.
That would never, ever, ever happen anyway. Oil companies can buy enough votes to slam those motions in 2.4 seconds.

Back