Axle swap to disc brakes?

Bill Arwood

Hello to all! I'm new to this forum ,not sure if this is the right place to pose this ? My 99 wrangler lost the rear differential this weekend. Mechanic says major repair bad bearings, axle , pinion,you know basically everything!We are locating a used axle my question is what years could I move up to so as to have disc brakes with a simple bolt on ? Has anyone else attempted this? Your knowledge and expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Z.

I did a quick google and could only come up with rear discs being offered on the '03-'06 Rubicon. You can also find them on some D35's in Grand Cherokees, they should bolt right in.

You could upgrade to a Ford 8.8 for a stronger axle. They can be found in junkyards for $100-$300, have disc brakes, and are available in common gear ratios found in jeeps. A $200-$300 axle bracket kit will get you going.

I put a Ford 8.8 on my 93 WY. A lot beefier and disc brakes.

Being a hobbyist/modifier/wrench turner, I did most of the mods myself.

Handy with a welder?

Grant it, I have a 6 lug rear axle, but I put disc brakes on it pretty cheap by being a little crafty. used 99 2wd rear rotos from a C1500, calipers from a 84 cadillac eldorado and made a simple weld on tab to hold it. I am sure you could find a similar rotr for a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. or the 8.8 is a slick way to go.

Do what Cewtwo suggests with using a ford 8.8 from an Explorer. Good axle and should very nearly swap right in. Make sure you swap out your brake proportioning valve so it can handle disc brakes in the rear. I am using a 90's valve from a grand cherokee. The disc brakes take higher pressure and more fluid to work right than drums.

Brake Upgrades

Towards the bottom the thread talks about the valves.

Bacon

Do what Cewtwo suggests with using a ford 8.8 from an Explorer. Good axle and should very nearly swap right in. Make sure you swap out your brake proportioning valve so it can handle disc brakes in the rear. I am using a 90's valve from a grand cherokee. The disc brakes take higher pressure and more fluid to work right than drums.

Brake Upgrades

Towards the bottom the thread talks about the valves.

Bacon

I read on the internet (so it must be true) when swapping in a 8.8, usually you can adjust the plunger rod in the master enough that you can retain the original brake setup. the 90's grand proportioning valve is identical to that of a YJ except there is not metering function for side to side distribution for the front brakes. To increase the brake system capacity, you need to increase the bore in the master. to do this, I swapped a 1989 E350 master into my YJ, little bit of modding, but close to a near bolt in.

Why not just junkyard source the 03 to 06 Rubi 44 rear and get discs and a locker?
It will have 4.10 gears you will have to match if you don't already have them.

Back