Anyone heard of The New Shade Top for Jeep Wranglers

jpearson

Hey guys. I’m pretty new to owning a Jeep and I’ve got a question. I've been looking for a good shade top and I found one made by SpiderWeb Shade Solutions. Anyone heard of this? Got any opinions? You can see the top at:
spiderwebshade.com

$59.99 for that? I hope the blonde comes with it to install it! As much as the regular channel tops whip around in the wind I couldn't imagine that Spidershade would be any good except for at trail speeds.

Cheesy, $60 for a rectangular piece of mesh with grommets?

And my favorite quote: "Very sturdy, well designed, easy to install top. Kept the wind out of my hair and the sun out of my eyes."

Keeps the wind out of your hair? Come on.

i am sure it is an ad. that spiderweb thing is based in florida too. i say buy a cheap grommet press, some mesh & make one. that way when it gets shredded by the wind you can make another :)

Everything you ever wanted to know about it is in this thread:

mesh windjammer? - JeepForum.com

There are definitely some aspects of this product that appeal to me - I'll give you the recap because it is a long thread.

1. According to people that have it, it doesn't flap in the wind at all.
2. It doesn't require the header to slide into, nor the door window channels...so you can put your soft top (or hard top) up quickly without taking this one off...and then you can use it for storage in the space between the tops. Nice if you live somewhere that it rains a lot so you can get that soft top up fast.
3. Sounds like it provides decent shade and actually some noise reduction - especially with the windjammer piece on and the windows rolled up - people are saying it is noticeably easier to talk on a cell phone on the highway. Not sure how much stock I put in this claim.
4. Some people love the little bungy cords with the ball attachments, some people seem to hate the way they look and would prefer if they used straps instead.
5. Most people seem to favor changing the grommets to black or getting rid of them and sewing something on there...the brass grommets are tacky according to many posters...those with the top don't really seem to mind all that much.
6. Complaints about the extra grommet in the center across the back, but some use it.
7. People would like it to fit better - too much space on the sides between the top and the roll bars...I think they are working on this problem for the next version.
8. Speaking of next version, they have the long one that goes all the way back like a safari top available right now - you can fold it back up to have it just cover the front like a bikini top and create a storage pocket, or bring it down like a windjammer. Personally, I don't like the look of the long one.
9. If you have grab handles, it is nice because it doesn't attach by rolling around the roll bar...
10. They are coming out with a new version that is being tested now - should be out in a week or two...you can get it in a 2 piece or 3 piece...1 piece is the bikini - just the front, one is the back covering the rear seat...and one is a windjammer.
11. The long one doesn't seem to interfere with your view in the rear-view mirror too badly.
12. It will fit some other cages - I think someone put one on a Poison Spyder roll cage and liked it, but I could be remembering that wrong.
13. It fits all different models...TJ, CJ, LJ...at least I think it does.
14. It goes on very quickly...even a hot chick can do it...as demonstrated in their video... :)
15. Customer service seems to be good...though he hasn't answered my PM on that forum yet...so I can't vouch for that one...
16. Consenus is that you could get this material yourself cheaply and make it yourself or have it made and it will fit better and you can do the grommets and straps any way you want...but consensus also seems to point out that this is more effort than it is worth...might as well just pay for the damn thing and get on with your life and you support a fellow Jeeper's livelihood.
17. A negative for really tall people (or fairly tall people with seat raisers) is that because of the bungee ball hookup system, it sits low across the bottom or middle of the roll bar (not sure which), vice the top of the roll bar like similar types of bikini/safari tops.
18. Apparently the mesh gives you the open air feel and but the benefit of shade. It also seems to stop bird crap from getting in your Jeep (if the bird drops from that angle of course).
19. There are lots of pictures in the thread so you will definitely get a good idea of what it will look like if you scan for pics instead of reading everything.
20. If you are really bored, for some reason the thread is halfway entertaining to crawl.
21. For what it's worth, I've decided to buy one of the 2 piece ones when they become available...with the oh-**** handles and the yakima bars attached to my roll bar, this thing looks to be a good solution for me personally. Not sure I will use the back piece much, but I don't think it will take much space and I could probably even use it like a net on my cargo rack...or lower as a cargo net with the seat folded down...(my idea, nobody has mentioned or tested this theory..so who knows).
22. I think he is selling them on ebay now as well. He mentions a discount if you tell him you are a Jeep forum member.
23. Oh yeah - some people mention that they worry that the bungee ball system will be hard on your roll bar pads...so they want the straps...but I think that one is BS because the straps on my bikini top have worn through my roll bar pads and that is caused by the wind flapping it all the time and rubbing a lot...and that shouldn't happen with this thing I wouldn't think.

Can you tell I have been following that thread? :) More than you ever wanted to know I'm sure...

By the way, for what it's worth, I am in no way affiliated with this guy...I just happen to read the thread and get interested in it...and thought I would save you all some time and give you the Cliff's notes version.

Take care!

Wow Poobah! Thanks for all that. I actually received the one I ordered this past Saturday. I have to say I'm really glad I bought it. Thanks again for all the information you gave.

Back