What Do You Hate About Your Jeep?

larrymo49

I know it's blasphemy to say much bad about our Jeeps...especially in a Jeep forum. :redface:

I have loved my Jeeps for one reason or another, but each had serious drawbacks. Ideally I would need to have at least three different types of Jeeps (at one time)...each for different purposes.

A pickup (which I have now) primarily for hauling stuff.

A Wrangler (universal) style to use as a great off road toy...and

A Cherokee/Grand Cherokee style to take on long trips and off road some too.

Unfortunately...I can't afford to have all three (maybe two someday...old ones...cheap ones???).

Do any of you hate something about your Jeep...or are you Like Totally Satisfied with your ride AS IS? :shades:

Larry

I wish I would've spent the extra $$$ and bought the long arm kit.

Three months after I bought my TJ, the Rubicon rumors emerged......Wish I would've known.

Of course, a couple years after Rubicon came the LJ......ahh, a long wheelbase with room for my junk.

Other than that I love my TJ.

I know it's beat to death, but I hate my gas mileage (2005 Wrangler / auto). I get 13.7 mpg, which is better that I should get!

according to the government, I should be getting 13 ( Gas Mileage of 2005 Jeep Wrangler/TJ 4WD )

Compare that to the 14 mpg you'll get out of a 2006 Hummer H3...
Gas Mileage of 2006 Vehicles by Hummer

I'm guessing the only way to improve that would be to make it more aerodynamic, which I'd probably hoot and holler about :?|

Other than that, I'm happy!

Now, if you ask my wife what she hates, she'd say that it's too hard to get into :p

The only thing I don't like about mine is that, like so many other motorsports, it eats $100 bills like candy.

It's not about miles per gallon, for a Jeep owner it's about fun per gallon...and by that standard, we wipe the floor with other vehicles!

There are little things that truly get to me, like the way the seat belt latch gets stuck on the belt leaving enough slack to get caught in the door latching mechanism.

The factory brakes, need I say more here?

The plastic windows........for those soft top owners.....

And finally the room....ever visit costco with your jeep?

Man! Having fun is getting more and more expensive everyday...

but I have to say as long as I can put gas in the tank and get parts to keep it running...I will always have a Jeep.

And I don't really hate anything about my Jeep...except that I don't have more of them. It would really be cool to be the Jay Leno of Jeeps.

Oh well, dream on Larry!!!! :shades:

I HATE my Dana 35! Why would Jeep put in a weak-unreliable piece of crap? :twisted:

Okay, okay after re-reading my post, that may be a little harsh, but Jeep ought to know almost everyone wants to go 33's or bigger and if you do much rock crawling / off roading the dana 35 will break!

Last edited:
...........And finally the room....ever visit costco with your jeep?

Utah, you gotta see me and mudwoman hauling our musical instruments around. There's PLENTY of room in a Wrangler............if you plan well!!:D

We have, numerous times, hauled a stand-up acoustic bass, 2 acoustic guitars, 2 hammered dulcimers, 2 bowed psalteries, 2 mountain dulcimers, and various music and instrument stands for hundreds of miles. Now, grant you, there wasn't a whole lotta room for us (my interior rear-view mirror is sacrificed for the neck of the bass), but it CAN be done!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But those air bags REALLY suck...............makes my dash look like a "car"..:(:(

........................And I don't really hate anything about my Jeep...except that I don't have more of them........

:agree:

In fact, I couldn't agree MORE!!!!!! (except for the air bags, of course!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:)

Oh, I'm gonna get it for this....

....but I hate that it's made by Daimler-Chrysler. You see, I've only recently crossed over to the dark side after YEARS of owning old Toyota 4x4s, and constantly making fun of Jeep owners. I caved in, because I secretly have always wanted a Jeep so that I could drive around with no top or doors. Yeah, I was just a little jealous. That, and I really didn't want to restore an FJ 40 just to beat it up on the trail. I knew what I was getting into, but reliable is not a word that will ever describe my Jeep. All of my Toys were 200k+ mile vehicles that ran perfect, but my 2006 Jeep can't pass the dealer without going in for a repair.

That said, I love the hell out of driving it. Plus, I got almost everything a boy could want right out of the box with the Rubicon. All of my Toys required heavy modification to do what my Rubi could do off the lot.

The first time I took it out on the trail, I got instant gratification. My roommate was ahead of me in his really nice YJ, and warned me that the next hill was really slick and not to ride my brakes coming down. When I got on the hill I was in low range, and had to give it GAS to go downhill. I thought he would have been amazed to hear this, but I got no reply over the radio when I told him what I was doing. I did get a one-finger salute from out of the driver side window of his Jeep. That makes it all worthwhile.

i have owned several cjs, that i loved,a 77 golden eaglethat i hatedthe full time for the tire wear, but loved the rest, a 98 tj that my wife beat me for getting the carpets dirty so i ripped em out! but i did love the ride and now I have a 87 yj that I LOVE IT ALL !!!!!!!(after a nutter 2150 tfi and on and on !)

I hate the way my front tires wore out ( my fault)

I hate that I have to replace my passenger side hub (again) two weeks after I replaced it with a good used one I had and the caliper that is stuck pushing the rotor and heating up the disc and wheel, which screwed up the hub.
Plus have to replace the outer knuckle cause the brakes put grooves in the metal so the pads don't slide on it ( And Having to have it towed for the second time in 2 weeks)

I hate that XJ's did not come from the factory with hood vents....

I hate the carpet padding that acted like a sponge which eventually took its toll on my floor ( gotta love rust!)

I hate the outside door handles bolts that break when you try to take them off and the mecanical part of it that falls off after the plastic cracks...( easy fix)

I can't complain about the gas mileage considering I drive a brick with 31's, 4.0, 5 speed, 4.10's. avg 17 best 19 worst 14 ( but thats spending all day wheeling)
I can complain about gas prices....

I hate that I don't have the funds to add to the jeep....

I hate that I don't have the funds to add to the jeep....

Thats the truth. Between having 2 car payments, a mortgage, daycare, and utilities, I dont have much disposable income. I wont mention the price of gas, since I did earlier in the thread. Wait a minute! I just mentioned the price of gas again, didnt I?

My steering wheel keeps pushing closer to my belly every year. I don't understand why AMC made such a thing . . . .

I dont know if it was something the previous owner did or what, but there were holes in the rear of my g/fs XJ. There was also water coming from under the dash?

Back