Jeep Grand Cherokee Hybrid on the way

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Chrysler plans unibody, fuel-efficient Grand Cherokee

DETROIT — Chrysler is pouring a hefty $1.8 billion into its Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit as it aims to make the Detroit factory a "hallmark facility for flexibility," according to supplier sources contacted by Inside Line. Those sources also say that the 2011-'12 Jeep Grand Cherokee will get a "car based" hybrid variant.

The next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee will be made with a unibody construction and a fuel-efficient V-6 engine being developed under the code-name Phoenix, Chrysler Co-president Tom LaSorda said. He went on to say that Chrysler worked with Mercedes-Benz to develop the platform

Supplier sources told Inside Line that the investment focuses heavily on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, in two-row and three-row configurations. The new Grand Cherokee will be powered by the new Phoenix engine, a V6 that is likely to be either a 3.3-liter or a 3.5-liter. The new Grand Cherokee will be engineered with "more space for hybrid components," a source said. There was talk about "Dodge spin-offs" to be built at Jefferson North, but one source said those "talks have quieted down."

In any case, the future Jeep Grand Cherokee will be more fuel-efficient than the current model. The plant today builds the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Jeep Commander.

Attachments

• 800px-Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_WJ_34h.jpg
    800px-Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_WJ_34h.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 10,748
Last edited:

Personally, I'm pretty concerned about a "car based" replacement for the Grand Cherokee. This may be the death toll for the GC's off-roading days.

The radical "Green" crowd unfortunately would have all off road vehicles sent to the recycle centers and a few placed in museums (so future generations could see how "it used to be"). :(

Larry

Also coming soon are the 3 EV's. full electric vehicles. a Minivan, a JK wrangler, and a sporty little 2 seater car. i've seen the prototype testing video and it seems to be pretty cool. i cant say anymore about it though.

Also coming soon are the 3 EV's. full electric vehicles. a Minivan, a JK wrangler, and a sporty little 2 seater car. i've seen the prototype testing video and it seems to be pretty cool. i cant say anymore about it though.

Back