• 3 feet

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • As tall as possible

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to ditch my old magnet mount cb antenna, and getting a real firestik antenna. I've also bought a mount that attaches to my spare tire carrier (so the antenna mount is pretty high already).

I'd like to run a flag for my local club (so no flexible antennas), but I don't want an antenna that will snag on every branch that comes along.

Help me decide if I should get a shortie 2 foot antenna, or a larger 4+ foot one.

If its a fixed antenna, definitely dont go higher than the roof.

Itchee -

You think that I'll loose the antenna pretty quickly?

I use a fiberglass antenna that extends above my roof. So far, it's gotten smacked around, but hasn't broken off. It actually attaches at the bumper--not the spare. If you attach the antenna lower, you can get more length without going over the roof line at all or as much.

Mine sticks up about 6-7 inches above the the roof line, it catches a branch or two but fire sticks are resilient and take some minor abuse. This is my third, lost one to old age and trail damage. The last one to stupidity and a automatic car washing machine. I prefer the fire sticks with the adjustable screw type to set the SWR's.
Oh mine hooks up with the behind the tail light mount.

I've almost finished piecing mine together. I ended up getting a $12 3' antenna (the trucker stop didn't have anything shorter). It'll stick up about a foot above the roof, so I bought a spring base. Hopefully this will work out ok.

I've almost finished piecing mine together. I ended up getting a $12 3' antenna (the trucker stop didn't have anything shorter). It'll stick up about a foot above the roof, so I bought a spring base. Hopefully this will work out ok.

I wouldn't recommend the spring base if theres a possibility of hitting your soft top, have a friend...(yes I do have friends...even if I have to pay them friendship dues)...that had his 8 foot whip on a spring mount and over a year or so it ate its way through the soft top fabric.

I don't plan on running a CB year round, only on offroad events. Having said that, good point - I never would have thought of the rub.

this might sound dumb but mine is about 3 foot higher then my roof but i pick up long range. i lost my cell phone one night so i put a cb in my house so anyone at my house could reach me in the jeep up to about an hour away or more. it was cheaper then buying a phone at the time

Back