Let's make the definitive list of what to bring off road

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting ready for a weekend of off-roading in North Carolina, and am scurrying around to get all of my supplies lined up. So guys, what I'm missing for my 2 day trip?

1. Fire Extinguisher
  2. First Aid Kit
  3. Hi-Lift Jack
  4. Oil / ATF / power steering fluid
  5. Food / Drink
  6. Blanket
  7. Tow hooks / straps
  8. CB radio
  9. Standard hand tools (socket set, hammer, breaker bar, screwdrivers)
  10. Spare U-joints
  11. Nylon zip ties
  12. Air pump
  13. Axe / shovel
  14. Spare key
  15. Toilet paper
  16. Jumper cables
  17. Camera and extra batteries
  18. Flashlight
  19. Hose clamps (many sizes)
  20. Bailing / mechanics wire (used to hold things together)
  21. 36mm socket for the front axle bolt
  22. Duct tape

Last edited:

Dang Terry, Looks like you've got the list going pretty good!! How about a camera and some extra Batteries. Also a Flashlight unless that's considered part of the standard hand tools. :D

I was thinking just sockets for hand tools. I guess we can throw some more in there - maybe a hammer and a breaker bar.

yeap, I would def add the hammer, heck even some flat and phillips screwdrivers as well as a few adjustable hose clamps. Those come in handy

I've always found it handy to carry a gallon or two of water for the radiator or just cleaning off the windshield after a mud run.

36mm socket for the front axle bolt, make sure someone along always have this one! Hose clamps, I carry some standard sizes but I also have a large universal hose clamp kit, its not just for holding hoses closed. Another thing is a fire starter kit, these magnesium, iron kit never needs battery's! Strap it to the underside of the seat and you never have to worry about being stranded with a means of cooking your fellow jeep mates if you get stuck in the high mountains again.

Bailing wire, or some call it mechanics wire. This small coil of life saving wire has held up exhaust pipe to holding radiators inside the old jeep. I also carry a small water filter bottle that uses activated charcoal. You can survive 10 or so days without food but only three without water.

It looks like you guys got everything covered. oopss wait! ahhhh, you forgot the Pepto bismol to help conserve that roll of toilet paper. oh and Safety Flares. :)--

dont forget the jb weld/ some kind of 2 part epoxy/ stop leak ( allthough tabacco or egg whites will also work in a jam) also if your still using those crappy ujoint straps bring extras and large c-clamp to press out the ujoint.

I follow the Hitchhicker's guide and always bring a large towel.
You'll never know, you may run into Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.
Besides it can come in handy.

A pair of decent ratchet straps. I have used these for holding gear together all the way to locating the axle in place of a broken spring.

You might consider a jump box instead of jumper cables and air pump. I have one that I purchased from Sam's Club. It has a 450 amp jump start capability as well as an electric air compressor, USB charge port, an LED light and can be charged from a wall outlet or 12 volt cigarette lighter. I believe it was $75 or so. I carry it in my pickup and also take it in the Jeep and boat. Comes in very handy.

Oh yeah, don't forget your beverage hugger. Gotta have one of those.

A Tube of RTV Silicone Sealant. good for re-sealing differential covers. holds up on transmission fluid as well but eventually seaps out. unless you get the ATF-RTV silicone.

what is a good tow strap to buy that won't put a hole in the wallet? I don't trust the super duty at wal mart... or should I? Not looking for anything too fancy just need something to pull someone out, I only have a 96 zj L-6. Any input would be AMAZING. Thanks guys,

amuddyzj

While some stuff is manditory from my club, 1st aid kit, Fire extinguisher, tow strap leather gloves and weight bag if winch equipt, I also carry..

I also carry:
Mechanics tool set with all major sae and metric sockets, it has enough space inside for me to jam in the carrying case a pitman arm puller, couple pairs of vise grips random large sockets (35mm, 1 ¼” etc..) and a d44 hub socket.
I also have an ammo can that I carry impact gun, air wrench, air line, small tarp, mini sledge, moisture proof welding rod, jumper cables, u joints for the d-shafts and joint straps
In a small tool box I have a snatch block, choker chain, couple d-ring shackles, 2 tree savers, 2 tow straps
For spare parts I carry an assortment of grade 8 hardware in a small coffee can for everything from center pins to using them to weld a inner casting back together, 1 stub shaft, two inner front shafts with joints and two rear shafts.

Then I bring food and usually a couple gallons of water, for me and the vehicle if needed.

I will be swapping in 1 tons on next winter and those will get some serious beef so I will probably no longer carry spare shafts, spare tire. With the fuel cell in the rear, I will loose some storage capability.

what is a good tow strap to buy that won't put a hole in the wallet? I don't trust the super duty at wal mart... or should I? Not looking for anything too fancy just need something to pull someone out, I only have a 96 zj L-6. Any input would be AMAZING. Thanks guys,

amuddyzj

Muddy, look up local lifting supply companies, we have Rocky Mountain wire and Rope. For 65$ I got 3 inch by 20 foot lifting strap that has leather wrapped ends and a red thread system that tells you when need to replace it. and in a single cradle it can pull 15tons.
You can also talk to the sales man and see if there have hunters special straps. This is also the only place where I pick up my shackles since the imports do not have to pass metallurgic inspections or load testing.

I also take 2 flannel sleeping bag liners, kitty litter, hand broom, dust pan, extra trash bags. I take freeze-dried food and a mini stove, as well.

I know you said food/drink...but I think we should specify BEER.

And I know you said 2 day trip...meaning over night. Since you're a SWB jeeper, you need a tent and a sleeping bag. Cause sleeping in a Wrangler is like getting kicked in the junk.

1. Tent
2. Sleeping bag
3. Matches
4. Extra fluids..oil, coolant, etc.
5. Deet
6. GPS/Maps/Topo Maps
7. Beer

Back