Anyone have any experience with Kahrs?

currupt4130

VT Hokie
I went to the gun shop today and handled a Kahr. I went in looking for a SIG 239 and handled a Kahr CW40. It's what I'm looking for, slim, concealable, not tiny but not huge, light, and supposedly very very reliable. Also it's fairly inexpensive. $425, new, one magazine. Anyone know anything about them?

Im no Expert in Firearms although i have quite a few in my collection. From my Prior Law Enforcement days, i would have to say that im not a fan of Polymer pistols. although, they also Manufacture Stainless steel Pistols. $425.00 for a personnal protection is a good price. i would suggest that if possible if they could let you shoot with it on a range to see if your comfortable with a 40 S&W caliber. I like .45 cal. for its knock down power, just my personnal opinion. the most important thing to consider is how well you can control that firearm for your safety's sake. Kahr also owns and Manufacture Auto Ordinance. Great Pistols.

I have no experience with Kahrs as I own Taurus pistols. I do know at Bass Pro, they have the Taurus Millineum compact .45 on sale for 350.00. I will pick one up before the end of the year.

Im no Expert in Firearms although i have quite a few in my collection. From my Prior Law Enforcement days, i would have to say that im not a fan of Polymer pistols. although, they also Manufacture Stainless steel Pistols. $425.00 for a personnal protection is a good price. i would suggest that if possible if they could let you shoot with it on a range to see if your comfortable with a 40 S&W caliber. I like .45 cal. for its knock down power, just my personnal opinion. the most important thing to consider is how well you can control that firearm for your safety's sake. Kahr also owns and Manufacture Auto Ordinance. Great Pistols.

Why do you not like poly pistols? I feel like Glock has been proven beyond reliable and most major manufacturers have gotten a great handle on the polymer frame thing. I understand some concern behind the cracking, warping, damage etc due to dropping and temperature sensitivity.

My concerns are buying a gun that I can carry, conceal well, and not have to worry about. The CW40 is light, and slim with a grip length that is manageable for both concealing and shooting. .40 is a larger caliber than the 9mm which although popular has proven to not be a very sufficient round in many cases. I like the .45 a lot, just not sure if it's enough to sway me from buying the .40 at my local store.

How do you feel about Rock Island 1911s? The shop had one there that was about the size I wanted, but damn it was easily 2 times heavier, if not more than the Kahr. I feel like that's another advantage with the Kahr is that it won't cause me to be constantly adjusting a holster because it's dragging my pants down on one side.

I didn't mean to knock down the Poly Pistols. 6 months in the Law Enforcement a recall went out to Glock Owners. 7 guys in my squad had to send it in for that recall. I've always carried my .45Cal either the P-15 Para-Ordinance or the 1991A1 Compact colt. i prefer the Steel Pistols for the weight. In Tactical rapid Firing, it was a lot Quicker for me to recover my target. the weight also buffers a lot of the recoil. it's just my personnal preference.thats why i suggested that you try to shoot the pistol your buying so that you learn the characteristic of that weapon. i use to carry a LadySmith 3913 in my bullet proof vest as a back up weapon. i've gotta tell you it's the worst pistol i've ever bought for me. on the other hand, My wife shoots a lot better than me with that 3913 than me and she likes the compact lightweight feature. a good friend of mine here in texas carries a Glock .40cal. he says it's the best carry concealed handgun. Buy the Handgun you will be comfortable with and be happy. :)--

I went to the gunshop today and stumbled on a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I've wanted this gun for a while and the guy had a used one there. That puts it in my price range. I'm going back tomorrow for it, he was closing when I called back later to see if he still had it. Said he'd hold onto it for me.

Kimber is a good choice. I looked at a Para-Ordinance Hawg .45cal compact. the model i was looking at already has the high sweep beavertail, adjustable trigger, skeleton hammer in a Matte black finish. I'm thinking i would have to wait awhile. rough time of the year for me. My oldest Daughters 21st B-Day, Wifes b-day, Christmas and Wedding Anniversary between next week and Dec. 27th. :(-- so go figure, i need to find a 4th job. a Friend of mine who owns Ray's Custom Guns in las vegas Swear's That Kimber Make's the best 1911 clones.

Coming in to this thread late, I just want to say that the CW series from Kahr seems cheap to me. A plastic pinned front sight seems like frustration in waiting. Kahr has had very mixed reviews in mags, but I have read of tons of problems with FTFs and FTEs, but most of them were with the PM series.

SteelHeadz, there is no such thing as "knockdown power". No handgun will knock down a person. "Stopping power" is sometimes used to describe a caliber's likelyhood to stop an attacker with one shot. Very subjective stuff... carry the biggest you can shoot accurately and reliably and train so you can land shots under pressure.

With so many LEO and military troops now carrying polymer guns, I think any criticism of the poly design has been put to rest.

Sorry Harry for Using The Term"knockdown" power loosely. My Bad. the term is better described in this article. OutdoorLife - Knockdown Power
as far as Criticism of the poly is concerned, there is still a lot of people out there who is not convinced of its reliability over steel pistols. I for one and some friends in the LEO are not impressed. again, this is My opinion only.

Sorry Harry for Using The Term"knockdown" power loosely. My Bad. the term is better described in this article. OutdoorLife - Knockdown Power
as far as Criticism of the poly is concerned, there is still a lot of people out there who is not convinced of its reliability over steel pistols. I for one and some friends in the LEO are not impressed. again, this is My opinion only.

Well a very strong argument could be made against the striker-fired poly guns and their heavy "double action like" triggers. These have improved greatly over the years and guns like the Springfield XD have close to single action quality triggers. As for reliability, the Glocks and XD's have proven any naysayer wrong.

As an owner of both a Springfield XD and a baby Glock (model 27) and a person who carries a glock on duty (model 22) I have to say I like poly guns. Out of these three guns and several thousand rounds of ammunition, the only problems I have had I can only attribute to cheap ammo. Given, a steel pistol usually feels better in the hands, and the weight does make it easier to control. Often times they are more accurate too. But from a personal protection standpoint, any quality gun should be accurate enough for the range that most of these shootings occur. And the weight does make them easier to carry. But as stated, in the end it comes down to whatever makes the person carrying it most comfortable.

I went to the gun shop today and handled a Kahr. I went in looking for a SIG 239 and handled a Kahr CW40. It's what I'm looking for, slim, concealable, not tiny but not huge, light, and supposedly very very reliable. Also it's fairly inexpensive. $425, new, one magazine. Anyone know anything about them?

Kahr is an excellent weapon. I had a SIG P 239 and hated it. It cut my hand when the slide blew back during firing. I have big hands and never could get used to it. I just never liked the feel of it. Sig's however are darn fine firearms and very reliable.

for CCW you also might look at a Bersa Thunder in .380 or 9mm, built in Argentina I think, and a very fine quality firearm. Then there is the Taurus Millennium Series PT 111 Pro, I just bought a 9mm for concealed.
I thought long and hard and almost got the same gun in .45 ACP
But I shoot my carry gun almost once a month and 9mm is cheaper, plus you have more mag capacity cause it's a double stacker

Then there is the Taurus Millennium Series PT 111 Pro, I just bought a 9mm for concealed.

I had a PT111, not a Pro, also, but sold it a few years ago. I swear by Taurus' customer service and craftsmanship. I had to send it back to to get a minor problem sorted out, and they returned it with 2 spare clips.8)

I had a PT111, not a Pro, also, but sold it a few years ago. I swear by Taurus' customer service and craftsmanship. I had to send it back to to get a minor problem sorted out, and they returned it with 2 spare clips.8)

the Pro has some improvements of the older Millenniums for sure.
and you are right about their customer service.

Back