Soft tops

I bought a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport. When I bought the Jeep, the top was dry and leaking. The top was almost impossible to let down. So I went and bought a hardtop. I want to by another soft top. What's the best to buy? Factory or one made of sailcloth.
I've heard that sailcloth is tougher, but would it be hard to let down?

Last edited:

Again, what Jeep do you have. That tends to be a vital part of the questions you are asking.

From what I have gathered (not from experience), the sailcloth is quieter......don't know about tougher. Either one would probably be a little "stiff", at first, to put up and down. But it should be managable until it stretches a bit. I've got an '03 with the original top and don't really have much problem.

Stick with Bestop brand as they make the oem top and seem to be of the best quality.

It also helps to lay it in the sun for a few hours before first installing it.

It depends on your budget, and how you will use your top.

Sailcloth is thicker and quieter, but will you really care during the summer months (that you don't have your hardtop on)? Chances are that you'll have the window down anyway.

I think the life span on any top is about 3 - 5 years, mainly because the windows get so scratched up. I have a new soft top for my 2005 in the garge, getting ready to go on.

There's about a $300 difference from a full best top sailcloth and a cheapo top. Personally, I'd rather replace a cheaper top more often.

Almost forgot - a big difference between cheap tops and bestop sail cloth is the thickness of the windows. Cheap tops have thin windows that tend to crease.

Well Bestop make the Sailclothe and the Factory tops so either way if you still have the hardware just go with your wallet.

I just purchased a best top replacement for my 95 yj to fit my original hard ware. I will sat it fits like a glove and folds down nicely.
Cost was 349.00

A friend just ordered a sailcloth top for his 97 wrangler with his original hardware and it does seem quieter and looks a little "smoother" I think he told me his cost was about 695.00

Good luck--It does not pay to go cheap!!!!
Remember that the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a good deal is forgotten.

Back