Poll/ info/ help please? lol

IshootHoyt

ok, well im kinda stuck in the middle of chosin my first jeep.... i will be turning 18 in a few days and i get to decide what vehicle im gunna sign a loan for. its between a 00'-04 wrangler any model, or a newer 99-06' GCL now im lookin to spend no more than 9,000 on a loan, and i know thats cheap but i figured i can still get some what of a vehicle for it, what would be the best bang for my buck. i want to further mod it out, lift it bigger tires the whole shabang, with a baddass bush guard, and i want it to be able to offroad nicely. and i need it to be able to haul my wheeler. along with passanger room and all that jazzz, so for my first Jeep adventure does anyone have suggestions between the two models/years i could look at or chose from or just get ideas on the pros and cons of each one? :?|:?|:?|:?|

the help is much appreciated i soon wish to join the nationwide jeep onslaught.

thanks
Brandon

My opinion? it would have to be the Wrangler. even a CJ .The best 4wd out of the Box. a lot cheaper to repair compared to a Grand Cherokee.especially when you get closer to the 06 models of the GC's.just one example, T.Case shift motor will cost around 450.00 if it fails. Mods? it's more expensive to modify a GC with a lot less available parts compared to a Wrangler. GC has a lot more Electronics to Fail than the Wrangler.You can't take the top off a GC unless you use Saw.i think that the Wrangler can by far outlast the GC. The Wrangler will give you years of Fun times with a proper discipline and respect. This is just my Opinion.

If there's any way you can get into a tj, that would be my recommendation, they are flat awesome. But for $9000 you might have to go to a late 1990's with high miles on it. Don't overlook the yj's either though because they are very cool rigs as well, and the cj's have billions of miles of proven reliability. A regular jeep is also much easier to turn around in a tight spot than a longer rig like a gc. good luck, john

I'd say go for a TJ. You can easily have one for 9,000. Take a look on craigslist and go drive a few. You'll probably do better by getting approved for a loan, then buying from a private seller (i.e. craigslist). Just make sure to drive a few before you buy.

I'm not sure about a CJ as a first and only car - they are great, but I don't know about it being dependable (the newest one is over 20 years old).

Baddass brush guard will do absolutly nothing to aid in offroading nicely, if anything it will weigh down the front of your jeep and reduce you angle of approach. Unless you plan on driving through a herd of Buffalo, skip the brush guard.

I am going to go against the grain here cause, well, cause I can
I would go with a 99-04 grand with the 5.2L and the command trac or what ever it is called, basically you will get a factory front and rear locker (this is what aids in offroading nicely) a budget lift, rock sliders and some 31" tires on stock rims will give you the best of both worlds. This should cost less than $9,000 if you search and plan your mods appropriately.

You also will get a very comfy Daily driver with heated leather seats, heated mirrors, AC, power everything.

To add because it will get mentioned.. I doubt you will be wheeling hard enought to worry about the rear axle so don't let that deter you.

well, for a conversion of being to offroad nicely along with able to drive highway and tow a wheeler trailer. i want it to be a nice comfy ride while i offroad and look nice crusin by on the highway

Get a Wrangler, take the top off, and cruise down the highway! Chicks dig the longball, er, I mean convertible.

I would go with a 99-04 grand with the 5.2L and the command trac or what ever it is called, basically you will get a factory front and rear locker (this is what aids in offroading nicely) a budget lift, rock sliders and some 31" tires on stock rims will give you the best of both worlds. This should cost less than $9,000 if you search and plan your mods appropriately.

You also will get a very comfy Daily driver with heated leather seats, heated mirrors, AC, power everything.

Have to agree with Johnny here. Listening to what you want to do with your vehicle, including the part about "passenger room" it sounds to me like the GC or even a later model Cherokee XJ ('97 to '01) would do the trick. Best bang for the buck and you can always later get into a YJ or TJ.

Just my 1 cent worth (figuring inflation),

Larry p0p

well i dont plan on rock climbing offroading, im talkin off roading about woods and trails, thats why i want to throw a brush guard on and all that jaz. im not going out to climb rocks and have the chance to flip. im not that hard core, i just want to be able to cruise through the woods and have some fun on wheeler trails. the wranglers have "okay" passanger room in the back but i would have to try to modify it because of the wheel wells. hitting bumps and bouncing off that hurts bad. i drove with my friend off road and it was comfortable. except when you hit the wheel wells.

Baddass brush guard will do absolutly nothing to aid in offroading nicely, if anything it will weigh down the front of your jeep and reduce you angle of approach. Unless you plan on driving through a herd of Buffalo, skip the brush guard.

I am going to go against the grain here cause, well, cause I can

To add because it will get mentioned.. I doubt you will be wheeling hard enought to worry about the rear axle so don't let that deter you.

I agree. I have a 96 stock GC and I would say that I can do almost everything other stockers can do. Put a bit of lift, 31's or 32's and you'll be fine. You got the cargo room, the engine to pull your 4x4 and a cool lookin offroad vehicle.

Dude, go with the wrangler, I turned 18 a couple months ago, sold my cavalier, took out a loan on an 03 Wrangler X with 30,000 miles for 12 thousand. I've had it for about 2 months now. took the top off a couple times, there is no possibility of not loving it. Maybe its just because ive wanted one since i basically could say "jeep", but i love everything about it. I don't know where you live but its just starting to snow where i live, its almost, almost as sweet in the snow, as it is in the summer. I havent done very much offroading yet just because i cant find anywhere to go within four hours of my house. I looked around a lot before i found my jeep, originally i was only gonna spend like 5-10 thousand. there are definately some decent ones out there in that price range. saw one for 9 with 80 thousand miles, 02 wrangler x, decent shape but the guy was a jerk and kept messin with me about price and stuff. I really don't think you will regret it. I'm gonna be adding a small lift and some bigger tires. Oh dude, you'll love it, get one.

i really want to get one also. i live in MN so it has been on and off snowing up here i hear they are fun in the snow. but mods for it will cost and arm and a leg. i was trying to find a yellow one with a black hard top. lookin at 99+ but not 07 then they get to almost 30 grand. do you know of any that are for sale around you? where do u live abouts?

A GC for off roading?!?! are you peeps nuts?!?!, yes the ride is nice and extra "comforts" are there. But what about the fact there is no sub frame? What? its ok to have a uni-body?
Ishoothoyt go for a TJ, first off structurally there better built than a Grand, (oh I hear the ZJ owners pulling out there soap boxes), Take a look on my web page I built both the green ZJ and the TJ's and the days we spent boxing the ZJ's frame sucked, just to get it to off road without warping the body enough to crack a window per trip.
The TJ is a first is lighter and smaller vehicle, giving you an advantage when learning to off road.

Now as for a gnarly bumper, there are more after-market MFG's out there doing stuff for TJ's than there is for ZJ's.

go with the tj ive had both and currently have an 03 tj from experence the wrangler is mutch better off road and alot more fun. just remember chics dig the wrangler with the top down and it feels so nice in the summer.
but with that budget id go with a 98 or 99 tj that wasnt used off road that much.

Go to craigslist. I see a couple on there once in a while. here's an example of one thats for sale right now.
(WOW) 1998 Jeep Wrangler- Must Go!!!!
Something like that probably has a few more miles than you could get for 9 but just an example. id go with the 6 cyl also but i guess thats a matter of opinion. and yea, like wrangler_x03 said, chicks dig jeeps with the top off.

well i live in MN so i dont know how far im really gunna travel to get my ride. i mean i would do it if it was in mint cond. but i really dont know if i could afford the gas along with the wrangler.

first: recommend you PAY FREAKIN CASH. read some news and reconsider borrowing against a future you don't have.

(falls off soapbox, continues babbling):

for what you're talking about doing, a good 92-96 4.0L xj would do you fine, and they can usually be found on craigslist (around here, at least) for about 1500 bucks, 2500 absolute tops. whatever breaks, there's always salvage yards or some local fool that's rolled his and wants to part it out cheap.

no. really. shutting up now...happy hunting

Last edited:
Back