Vehicle History

kis86

I've been looking at getting a Wrangler TJ for a while, and have found one I think is a good price and a good Jeep. I was wondering how people felt here about using their carfax or other subscription to look up a VIN for a new buyer...? The vehicle has pretty low miles, and I'm just curious about how many previous owners there were and if there's any major incidents reported on it. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

1J4FY49S4WP781579

I've used Carfax and would use them again. I have heard of problems, just like with anything else, but for the most part it's a great service.

A lot of times you can get a free Carfax by going to larger car-related forums and asking if someone has a subscription. Car dealers all have accounts, if you know a car salesman he/she can get you a free Carfax.

But, if $20 is no big deal, you can always just pay for the report...8)

Good luck!

It's a 1 owner Jeep before it was traded in the Dealership in Mn. it's got 29,485 miles the last time it was serviced. Black, 4.0 Powertech I-6 with trailer tow. no reported Accidents on file. i hope this helps.

It's a 1 owner Jeep before it was traded in the Dealership in Mn. it's got 29,485 miles the last time it was serviced. Black, 4.0 Powertech I-6 with trailer tow. no reported Accidents on file. i hope this helps.

Why is it that I KNEW you would have the "carfax connection"??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks a bunch SteelHeadz! That's very helpful information. I had found jeepforum.com before this one and had posted...only to get my head bitten off about carfax rules etc :???: After I pick up my jeep, I think I'll get a carfax subscription to pay back the favor here and help others in their Jeep search 8)

Watch for me, I'll be the one asking a million stupid questions right away!

Thanks again

It sounds like a good deal ,just keep in mind that car-fax is not 100% it only tells you if some put a claim against that Vin# and when it was registered to who I work for a dealer my self and have seen things not on the fax not to say that this is your case, but it is not 100%

I always say that I'll get a carfax, but I'm usually so excited about my new toy that I forget. I've never gotten a carfax until after I've purchased the car...

The price is $6995, 98xxx miles, 6-cyl manual. Do you think it's a good deal? It looks very clean...Black with a black hard top.

I bought my 02 in 04 paid $10,000 23,000 miles on it and it was a strip down model no back seat or rear carpet soft top 4cyl it s come a long way since than. Your deal sounds good to me especially if it in good shape your doing right by getting a 6 cyl if i did it again that's the route i would go.

The price is $6995, 98xxx miles, 6-cyl manual. Do you think it's a good deal? It looks very clean...Black with a black hard top.

I think it is. It's got a lot of good stuff according to the Build Sheet. just check the Maintainace History and have someone there you trust go over it just to Verify it's condition.

I think it is. It's got a lot of good stuff according to the Build Sheet. just check the Maintainace History and have someone there you trust go over it just to Verify it's condition.

I brought my brother-in-law who was a mechanic and TJ owner to do a once over on my final picks when I bought mine. Always good to have another set of eyes to find things you missed.

The problem sometimes is that when you buy from a Dealership, they send the Vehicle out to get Detailed. they use a lot of Solvents such as a degreaser. if there was an oil leak or any signs of coolant leak at the radiator area, it's gone. until you drive it for awhile will you know if there is an issue there or not.

The problem sometimes is that when you buy from a Dealership, they send the Vehicle out to get Detailed. they use a lot of Solvents such as a degreaser. if there was an oil leak or any signs of coolant leak at the radiator area, it's gone. until you drive it for awhile will you know if there is an issue there or not.

Thank God I didn't get mine from a stealership. I found it on Craigs list, garage kept, pulled behind RV on Vacations. I got lucky! Only thing that was wrong was wiring behind the cluster. The wiring on the 98 had a recall on it and they gave him the stuff to fix it but he never did. He handed the stuff over to me when I bought it tho.

Thank God I didn't get mine from a stealership. I found it on Craigs list, garage kept, pulled behind RV on Vacations. I got lucky! Only thing that was wrong was wiring behind the cluster. The wiring on the 98 had a recall on it and they gave him the stuff to fix it but he never did. He handed the stuff over to me when I bought it tho.

Have you installed the new connector yet?, if not, i can get you the procedure on how to do it.

Thanks everyone...good heads up on buying from a dealership. It's safe to assume usually there are some things they don't admit are wrong, but if it runs wells and I get a written guarantee for 30-90 days or something I'm fine with a leak etc. That can be fixed :) nothing compared to my car stuff.

SteelHeadz, you're a "senior member" here for good reason...thanks a bunch!

A couple more questions:

1. I have seen an ad for a Jeep nearby that has a "locking differential"...is that just for pulling out of hard spots, and not for everyday driving? I imagine that would cause it to bind a lot around corners...

2. Dana 30/186MM Front Axle & Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle...are these the standard?

One more :)

Does the 98 TJ have an open differential, or limited slip? An open diff. allows the slipping wheels to continue spinning because the power is to them correct?

Thanks everyone...good heads up on buying from a dealership. It's safe to assume usually there are some things they don't admit are wrong, but if it runs wells and I get a written guarantee for 30-90 days or something I'm fine with a leak etc. That can be fixed :) nothing compared to my car stuff.

SteelHeadz, you're a "senior member" here for good reason...thanks a bunch!

A couple more questions:

1. I have seen an ad for a Jeep nearby that has a "locking differential"...is that just for pulling out of hard spots, and not for everyday driving? I imagine that would cause it to bind a lot around corners...
p0p
Locking differentials are essentially for Traction purposes. Offroading, rockcrawling etc. Yes it will bind on turns and it's not a good idea to have it engaged all the time especially at a high speed turns. things break, axle components wears out a lot quicker. since it said "locking Differential" i would assume that it's an option to have it on or off. and that would be okay for a daily driver. a lot of the guys here have locker's on their Rigs and some don't have the option to disengage them and it doesn't seem to bother them much.
p0p
2. Dana 30/186MM Front Axle & Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle...are these the standard?

p0p For the most part YES. although the front axle is supposed to be a 181mm, the rear has two options; 194 and a 216 RBI. Iv'e seen rare occasions of a Wrangler being ordered from the factory with different axles like a Wrangler X with Rubicon axles. weird but a good find.p0p

Last edited:
Back