I-6 Engines

Jeeper99

Ok, I may have already asked this once before, but I suffer from C.R.S!

I have an I-6 4.0 engine that came out of our 97 Grand Cherokee when it was totaled from the rear end. Will this engine fit in my 99TJ (If and when I may need to replace it)? I was keeping it around for just such and occasion.

But,

I had a guy at a salvage yard say they were diffrent and not interchangeable due to the motor mouts being diffrent or somthing like that, but I have no idea :???:

The ignition coil setup may need swapping. The mounts are in a different place, but the pads are there. You might have to drill and tap one or two of the holes (did that when I put an '01 motor into an '87)

I got to looking the other day and noticed the oil filter is in a diffrent location also. Is it just a bracket that can be changed for the filter? Hopefully, I won't have to worry about an engine swap for a Long time! *fingers Crossed* But it's good to know I have a motor setting in the garage that was free.

you will need to pull the coil packs and the ecm from the grand to run the newer engine. (not sure here but doesn't the 99 still run a distributer?)
If it does the ECm might give you a bit of an error code due to the fact the Grand has 4 wheel ABS and requires the rear sensor to be hooked up.

Yeah, my 99 has a distributor, I havn't paid any attention to the motor much since I pulled it from the 97 grand.

Just a curious question, but would I be better off selling the motor and when/If the time comes, just rebuild the factory I-6 in my TJ? I'm just not sure how much of a hassel it would be to mount it up correctly and change out the coil/distributor etc...

you will need to pull the coil packs and the ecm from the grand to run the newer engine. (not sure here but doesn't the 99 still run a distributer?)
If it does the ECm might give you a bit of an error code due to the fact the Grand has 4 wheel ABS and requires the rear sensor to be hooked up.
Why, when he can use the Grand longblock and keep everything else TJ?

The head and blocks of both motors are the same, and you'll have more down-time if you have to rebuild yours as opposed to simply replacing the block and head with the Grand parts.

So I'll be able to just swap all TJ parts to the Long Block out of the Cherokee? The Oil Filter location is diffrent on the Cherokee motor, would this be a problem or is it just a relocation bracket that can be removed? If I remember correctly, the filter is horizontal above the motor mount on the passenger side. I think........

You should be able to transfer that Oil filter adapter. you will need a 9/16 allen to remove the adapter. make sure you replace the O-rings before you reinstall it to the donor engine..

Thanks Guys! I'm keeping notes on all this stuff for future reference. My clock just rolled to 160,000 yesterday while out snow wheelin'. She sounds like a little diesel, but still runs great! :D

The Cherokee motor simply has an adapter on the oil filter that will be removed when installed in your TJ.

I just double checked the grand engine that I've got in the garage and it is using a distributor and not a coil. Will this be even less hasel since originally we thought the grand ran a coil?

Back