up-coming swaps

I currently own a 85 CJ-7, its all stock parts but I've done my own mod's
on it. I did a spring over lift, 3" body lift, swapped out the 3 speed T-15
and dana 20 case for a 4 speed T-18 and dana 300. I welded rear amc 20
and front dana 30 (340 gears) I run 35" Gumbo Mudders. It works great
but I keep breaking front axles so its time to up grade.
These are my plans, I have a 90 GMC truck with a tbi 350, 5 speed getrag
trans and np 241 case. I also have a 76 F-250 with 360 engine, divorced
205 case, dana 44 front dana 60 rear with 410 gears.
I want to use the GMC driveline and ford diffs, but is the 5-speed getrag
transmission too long to fit in the jeep frame? or should I try to find a 700r4 auto? any suggestions would be appreciated thanx.

I am not sure what model of GETRAG transmission nor its length, you have but the 700r4 is 23.4 long and it requires a super short shaft kit on back of the NP231 to give you enough room to get adequate slip in the rear CV drive.
That also requires a new front drive line needed for the extra length.
These mods were required for a TJ with 93 inch wheel base (stock)
A measurement from the front of the bell housing to the face of the tail shaft housing should give you the length.

You already have the best transmission and t-case combination of all those listed.
Use the TBI350 (for fuel injection reasons) and the Ford rear 60. Sell the rest of your parts and buy a Chevy front 44 or 60 with 4.10's and a bellhousing adapter for the Chevy motor to T-18. You will be looking at $1500 or so for the axle and bellhousing. You should be able to get that much for the rest of your parts without any problems.

Thanks for the replies, but I made a mistake I don't have a T-18 its actually a
T-176. Will it hold up to the 350? If it will that is what I'll do. I recently traded
the divorced 205 for a set of 39.5" TSL's on 8 bolt 10"x 15" rims.

The Tremec T176 is a mid to heavy transmission thats good for V-6's and mild V-8's, but if your going for big gears and wild tire sizes a good upgrade is either Ford T18 or NP435 transmissions since they have the same bell housing bolt pattern and will better suit your needs as a HD transmission.
The T176 was factory married with a Spicer Dana 300 transfer case, but they dont match up to either the T177 and T178.
If your looking for a swap I would hunt down the T18 due the fact its the shorted of the two I suggested (by 1 or so inches)and of the fist gear ratios can get you down to nearly 6:1 with out having to get a transfer case reduction gear set.

Back