Help me!! I need people w/ jeeps to help me

Gotta-Go-Jeep

Hi, i have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 2wd double cab right now and i hate it. It's no good for playing :scratch: so i want a jeep... know as the best vehicle when it comes to reliability and just being a fun experience. But everyone's saying they have a high roll over or they get stuck easily because they have a short wheel base. If someone could please tell me the pros and cons of owning a jeep... and also what is common for breaking on wranglers?
How high would you suggest lifting a jeep to have plenty of clearance, nice room for big tires, but still not look funny...

Thanxs :)

Welcome to Jeepz fellow Texan. First off, Jeeps in general does not have a high rate of roll over or easy to get stuck. who ever told you that probbably has no business driving a Jeep. If you intend to go fast and turn left with any vehicle that has a 4.5 or 5" lift at 70 MPH then you probbably dont want to get a Jeep either. just like any other offroad vehicle , it deserves respect and moderation with a lot of common sense. As far as i'm concerned, The Jeep Wrangler is STILL the best 4WD out there straight out of the box. There's not a whole lot that breaks on the Wrangler on a normal driving, however, if you go wheeling with it and just romp on it all the time like a Baja racer, then something WILL break. as far as lift's are concerned. i would go with a 1" body and a 3-3.5 suspension lift. 35" tires is probbably all that you would need for the terrain here in texas. I'm in the Hill Country, i've never been stuck on the trails or the mudpit yet, instead, i end up pulling the Fords and Chevys out with the winch.

Allright thanks for all your insight to the whole jeep thing... I never planned on driving the jeep i end up with like that... i haven't driven like that since i got rid of my STI which is meant to drive like that, but i would never drive a truck or jeep in that fashion, and i see what you say about driving it with respect. I know so many people who say they don't like there vehicle because everytime they go muddin it breaks... and you would understand what i mean when you saw how they "mudd" there trucks... and the lift that you said sounds like exactly what i was thinking... i was think a 4 inch suspension and 1 maybe 2 inch body... with 36's

Hi i live in ct and went trail riding with some guys i met on line and i must say that i am very impressed on where i was able to go and not get stuck at all driving in two feet of water-mud pit was real neat and all i did to mine is a 2" lift and the rest is basically a stock 4 cyl how ever i would buy the 6 cyl( better for having big tires and better speed on highway) if i was shopping for a new jeep.

i was think a 4 inch suspension and 1 maybe 2 inch body... with 36's

I would suggest that you go with a bigger lift 5.5 or 6 inch and leave your body lift at no bigger than a inch. Any thing over an inch will stress the body bolts to the point of breaking. We have several jeeps running 6 inch lifts with 35 inch tires. we never had a problem with roll overs on the street due to the fact the owners have to think that with every lifted vehicle your center of gravity has been altered and you have to slow down to make sharp turns.
On average my little group of friends places their daily drivers in more off camber situations than most, if you would like to see how some of us push it take a look at this video http://www.jeepz.com/forum/jeep-videos/24768-working-z-turn.html

Thanks Utah_jeepster i wanted to get a 5 or 6 inch lift in the first place, but finding one at a affordable price with good quality parts is hard... i really don't want to blow $3,600 on just the kit, and than pay for installation :scratch:

4" would be the max limit I would suggest with a short arm kit. If you go bigger than that , say 6" you would be better to get the long arm due to the length of the control arms. A 6" lift long arm would keep the rear axles from trying to lift and run under the Jeep, plus it looks alot better with a ton more flex. This is just things I have been told and have read on the site. ;)

4 inches is pushing it on a short arm lift due to the fact the upper and lower control arms are at a steep enough angle to that you will feel every road vibration and bump. Making your ride terrible.
Installing a kit requires cutting and welding, if your not comfortable doing this then paying is the wisest choice. Then later on if something is wrong you do have someplace to take it for them to fix it.

Not sure how much off roading you'll be doing down there but I do some light 4 wheeling in PA on some of the logging roads every now and then in my stock 02. It has the 4.0L and it does very well for being stock. I'm going to upgrade the size of tires to 31 x 10.50 Nitto terra grapplers from my 30 x 9.50 Gd yr MT/R's and a 2" pro comp sus. lift. Just came back from a cross country trip to Yuma, Az. from Maryland and I would have a ball out there with my jeep. Sand dunes, rocks, all kinds of trails...........mmmmm sounds a little like heaven! It's awsome out there. Wish we had some more areas to do stuff like that here in MD.

Back