Most Boneheaded Moment?

Boze

So as some of you may recall, I picked up my YJ about two or three months ago and within 36 hours had it at the shop getting a 4" lift and 33"s. Since then I have been doing absolutely everything I can think of to get it just that much better off road. I was having trouble with some obstacles that my friends were going right over, through, up and so on. I cursed my tires, my sway bars, my lack of lockers, and my own, apparantly sub-par, driving skills. However, I was still fairly impressed at some of the things my Jeep could handle. But it wasn't untill yesterday, while attempting to climb Blo Sand hill at Ocotillo Wells, California over and over to no avail, that I reached my breaking point. On my fourth attempt to go up the dune I found myself burried to the axle. As I watched a bone stock x-terra fly up the hill right next to me with no problem at all, I snapped, jumped out of the rig and proceded to kick a dent in my rocker pannel. Another guy in an identicle YJ pulls up and asks if I need help, I just looked at him like, "duhh... nope! I'm just sitting here burried up to my A-- for the fun of it...here's your sign." We hooked my inferior pile of junk up to his identicle, yet somehow far more capable rig, and he tried to pull me out up hill. "PUT IT IN FOUR AND GIVE SOME F-ING GAS" I hear him yelling back at me, "I'M IN FOUR LOW YOU MOTHER...mumble mumble mumble," I reply. He stops, gets out, and starts walking down the hill to me, (I'm assuming a fist fight is about to break out at this point, so out of the Jeep I come in a hurry). "dude," he says in a much calmer voice, "only your rear tire is spinning." "huh?" He then checked my driveline as I tried to move in four low and found that it was indeed spinning...but wait...THE VACCUM LINE ISN'T CONNECTED TO MY FRONT DIFF!!!!!!!! He plugged it in and I got MYSELF out of the hole I had dug and mobbed up one side of that hill and down the other like it was flat ground. Now, remember, I've been "wheeling" this thing pretty flipping hard for about two month WITH NO FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! I have not felt this stupid since I peed my pants on the playground in kindergarten! Needless to say I am thoroughly amazed at the places I can go with an actuall four wheel drive Jeep, not to mention that I am now an expert in the places I can go in two wheel! :lol::lol::lol:

So there you have it. I've aired my dirty laundry, now what's the most boneheaded, Jeep related thing you have ever done?

Lmao:lol::lol::lol:. OOpss, sorry, i wasnt laughing at you, just laughing WITH you. lol..

Just one?!?!?!?! Man, that limits me. 6 days after I bought my TJ, mudwoman drove down to Florida to "meet" me (we had been communicating on line and on the phone - no face to face). We took the Jeep out to a local wildlife refuge and I proceeded to get 'er stuck up to the frame (don't drive in the ruts...STRADDLE them!!). Anyway, being new to 4WD vehicles, I was surprised when I looked out the side and only my rear wheel was spinning. I asked mudwoman to look out her side and see if the wheels were spinning while I gassed it. YUP!!!! That front right was spinnin' like crazy!!...she turned back to me with mud covering her face and I thought, "Oh ****E!! I sure blew this one!".........Then she proceeded to laugh her arse off and I knew I had a keeper!!!! A few months after this incident, I got her YJ high centered up in Uwharrie ORV area (NC) and we were pulled off by a four-wheeler! :(:shock::cry::roll:

Two that I'm willing to admit.......many more I won't confess to and, I'm sure, many more coming. All part of the Jeep life...wouldn't have it any other way!!

I was baling hay for a guy a while back for some extra cash. Well, he had some corn cribs about two miles south of his place that needed cleaned, so me and another young fella got a head start in my CJ7. It's hilly around where we were at and there is a dirt road with a sharp ninety degree right turn nearby his house.

I'm feeling pretty big in my sweet Jeep with no top or doors. We get around the sharp turn and I figured I'd let the rear tire spin a little. I pop her in second and let the torque spin em loose. Now, take into consideration that I had never slid around in my Jeep prior to this.
I naturally slide right, so I turned left... too left. The road was cut through a hill, so the sides were inclined. My front left wheel caught that steep grade to the left, swung the back end right around, and flopped me over. The young fella's seat belt came right out of the floor due to rust, so he's on the dirt road panicking. I'm still suspended in the air contemplating what my parents will think of the whole ordeal.

I then hear, "Holy $^!t" repeatedly followed by, "A...are y...ye okay?! I... I cut your seat belt wit my pocket knife!" I told him I value my seat belt and that I could get down. After a couple minutes, I get down and see the guy I'm baling for drive up. He asked if we were okay, got his tractor and a couple chains, and in no time we were off to the cribs.

Needless to say, I felt like a bonehead. :D

Last trail ride I was on (I posted a small vid in that section) I was in such a rush to get to the trail head that when I got to the meeting spot (a gas station) I met up with my fellow members, drove the additional 20 minutes to the trail head, got the jeep off the trailer, proceeded up the trail, realized the master cylinder was junk, then realized, I forgot to get gas. so I drove about 1/2 the trail easy since I had no brakes, had to park my junk and come back for it at the end of the day. In my defense, the gas in the tank was over a year old. as I pulled the jeep on the trailer, it was spuddering real bad.

Good news, no excuse to pull the tank out for the fuel cell.

Back