??????'s about engines & gas consumption

Greeker375

For what seemed like decades the standard 4.0 6cyl seemed to be the standard engine that performed flawlessly and with over all good fuel consumption. Now, there are lots of "new" engines and I can't afford to drop down in mpg's.

First of all I, unfortunately, am not in a position to buy new. Therefore, my purchases are 2nd/3rd hand. Currently, I'm in a 2001 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 6Cyl. I bought it with 30K on it in 2002 and now have a touch over 190,000 (I do put on the miles).

So, my problem is with my V6 I get about 18.5 mpg in the "city" and on the hwy I get close to 23 mpg. Since the 3.7, 4.7 and 5.7 are now the choices, which do I get? Is the 3.7 available in 6 & 8 Cyl's and how do they perform? Why did they abandon the 4.0? If the 4.7 comes in 6 cyl, is it as economical as my current motor?

I'd sure appreciate any input.
M

The 3.7 is a V6, 4.7 and the 5.7 Hemi is a V8. None of these engines were intended to replace the 4.0 but instead the 3.8 liter thats been around for awhile found on the Chrysler minivans was re-engineered for the new JK wranglers. The plan was to replace the the old body from a KJ to a KK, TJ to a JK, WJ to a WK so on and so forth. Fuel economy has a lot to do with the drivers habits. A 5.7 hemi can get up to 22-24mpg from my co-worker but i can only get 18-19mpg with my driving habits from the same company vehicle. I think you'll be much happier with the 4.7V8 over the 3.7V6 on the newer GC's.

Back