A bent output shaft???? Really!

Dagan Johnson

I own a '05 TJ with 50k miles. No lift and 30in tires. This is my 3rd jeep and the only one that I have not beat up offroad. Long story short, Rear driveshaft detached from U joint as I shifted into second, slamming itself into the muffler and bending the output shaft. Although I have ordered the 231j standard SYE and it is sitting brand new in the box in my living room. I really want to keep this jeep somewhat stock. Is there really a way to bend that output shaft, or is the oil seal just off. Money is tight and I need to fix this immediatly. Somebody help. PS I have a brand new SYE for sale.

You will have to replace the mainshaft in the transfer case, it's relatively easy. I have a bunch of good mainshafts if you're interested, will ship it to you cheap.

I work on a bunch of jeep transfer cases and don't see too many bent shafts. I've seen them broken in half, but very few bent.

BTW, welcome to the Z. I'm near St. Louis and could install it for you if you were close. Where you at?

When the jeep is on jackstands with the rear driveshaft removed the oil seal and output shaft wobble. What are the chances of anything else being wrong? I truly appreciate your quick response and to answer your question; I am in DFW, Tx. The mainshaft I need ( you probobly already know) goes to a dana 35 rear and drive shaft. Please contact me if possible @ 817-986-6038. Thanks again and I would be willing to purchase the mainshaft, just let me know how. You wouldn't happen to be interested in a brand new still in box JB Conversions NP231 HD SYE Kit would you?

Don't need a SYE, already have the super short version.

I would also replace the tailhousing or at a minimum the bearing in the tailhousing. I have spare tailhousings as well if you want one with a used bearing installed.

I will give you a call at a better hour.

Back