Deal or Not

newagecustoms

I'm looking into buying a 97 jeep wrangler TJ (6 cycle) has 97k and was run into a mud hole bigger then the jeep. mud got in the oil and the entire engine was coverd in mud but i dont think any went into the air intake. The coolant was good. the oil was drained and fresh put back in. It cranks but has a knocking sound. im guessing its the oil pump because theres no oil pressure. i plan on fixing it up once i get it. so for 2500 dollars i figure its a deal. any one with any ideas on whats wrong and is this a deal or not?

Deal? No. An engine with almost 100k?, your guess for a bad oil pump is not a bad assumption, however i would expect the worse such as a spun bearing , piston rod, etc.. Until you drop the oil pan you will not know what the exact source of the knocking and why. And there's no way in telling if there's other issues after you get the knoking issue resolved and get the engine to sputter at idle.

Sounds like it was hydrolocked.

It was sunk, and you have a knock, I'd bet it ingested water and damaged one or more pistons.

Back