I want a jeep!

crowfan

Hey everyone. I'm new to the list and don't really know how to operate these things. Here's my very general question. I want to get a jeep that is excellent both off-road on on-road. I realize that there is no perfect combination of the two, but what's a good starting point? I like the classic older look of CJ's. For off-roads I would plan to be in the mountains.

[This message has been edited by crowfan (edited July 15, 2001).]

Hi Crowfan, I have a great jeep for you. 1985 CJ7. Red w/white hardtop, 258 6 cyl. New exhaust front to rear, new dist. cap, rotor, wires, sparkplugs. Timing gears replaced last fall, along with waterpump. Has powersteering, but not power brakes, 5 speed trans with Dana 300 transfer case. Runs great. Jeep has chrome wheels, chrome grill cover, new bestop seats with maybe 100 miles on them. the AMC20 has solid axles and a Lockright locker inside. I have replaced the shackles with 3/8 lift Confer shackles. I also have the tall corners still in the box that I would throw in on a deal. [addsig]

you say there isnt a perfect combination but there is, get a grand cherokee. CJ's are great offroad but suck onroad. Grand Cherokees are great onroad and and with a little work will be great offroad.

Unfortunately, you really leave too many variables open for us to be helpful. For instance: do you want an open-air wrangler/CJ type jeep, or a SUV type such as the Grand Cherokee or the Cherokee? Do you have $3,000 or $30,000 to spend? When you say that you plan to be in the mountains, do you mean on a graded logging road or climbing waterfalls? Are you willing/planning to modify the vehicle, or do you want one that is still like it comes from the factory? Are you looking at relatively new, or 25+ years old? We all have our opinions, and I'd be glad to share mine with you at length. However, we're probably just wasting our time until we get some of these questions answered.

oh david, i couldnt have said it any better!!

Ok, I knew this wouldn't be easy. Let's try this first. I want a jeep that can handle Rocky Mountain passes, has removeable top, (hard or soft), probably an older one, (70's, early 80's). I would probably spend around 10,000 initially, and I would modify it. What's the most solid and dependable so I don't have to fix it all the time.

Okay. That info helps. If you're looking at late seventies/early-to-mid eighties, you're looking strictly at CJ's. The YJ's weren't produced until the '87 model year. Within the CJ's, you have a realistic choice between the CJ-5, CJ-6, CJ-7, and CJ-8. The five and seven are shorter wheelbase, while the six and eight are longer (both commonly referred to as "scramblers", although I think only the eight actually carried that designation). The five is the shorter than the seven, and the six is shorter than the eight. In general, the average seven or eight is newer than the average five or six, although there were some years of overlap where the five, seven, and perhaps eight were all built.

You mentioned Rocky mountain passes. In general, if you're going to be doing really steep stuff, you'll appreciate the longer wheelbase of a CJ-8. For very tight switchbacks, a -7 or -5 is better, but be aware that larger tires can drastically cut your turning radius. If it were me, I'd take the longer wheelbase and back up to make a turn if I had to. I drive a five, and sometimes even going up a small ledge, you feel like you're on a launching pad, looking up at the sky.

The search for a jeep is really a search for reliability and features. You can get lots of advice about which one is better in stock condition, but they've all been modified so much, that some of those differences are pretty moot by now.

Having said that, I'd prefer anything that had a Dana 44 rear axle over a Model 20 (at least unless a LOT of modifications have been made to it). This means early to mid seventies CJ-5's, and a 1986 CJ-7. However, lots of axles have been swapped in to lots of vehicles over the years. I'm also a fan of bigger engines, but I live in the South, where we need them for climbing slick, muddy rocks. Out west, a smaller engine can be useful for control of the vehicle. Having said that, you want it to have enough power to get out of its own way on the interstate, unless you plan for it to be a trail-only vehicle. I'd suggest an I-6 engine at least, and wouldn't shy away from a V-8.

You need to know what kind of transmission the jeep has, also. Several mid-eighties transmissions weren't very strong. I don't remember which ones were the weak ones: I think T-4, T-5, and SR-5? Someone can correct me on this. Look for a T-176 or T-18.

Regarding axle gears, it will depend on your engine and transmission, but I'd suggest at least 3.73's, and probably 4.10's if you're planning to do any serious rock crawling and/or you have a smaller engine.

Most jeeps made during the time which you are looking for came with the Dana 300 transfer case, which is excellent and desirable. The Dana 20 (on earlier CJ's) isn't bad at all, but has a smaller ratio low range (i.e.,less of a crawl ratio).

You'll want a suspension lift--at least 2.5", with 4" being better. Body lifts will clear tires, but won't help you on the trail (to the contrary, they can hurt the body). Spring-overs are great, but be sure they're done right.

Unless you want to spend a bunch of money off the bat, be sure the jeep has a set of trail-worthy MT tires already. I'd suggest at least 33", but that gets into axle ratios, engines, lifts, etc.

Traction assistance devices are great--I'd look for a jeep with at least one locker, or be prepared to install one yourself. Be sure you have power steering if you're going to lock the front end.

I could go on and on, but this is getting pretty long already. In general: the CJ-8 is probably the most trail capable. It's also the most expensive and rare. The CJ-7 is a great jeep. It has more room and a longer wheelbase than the five, and EVERYBODY makes aftermarket stuff for it. Whatever you look for, be ready to get dirty inspecting it. Go with a flashlight and a rag. Get into the engine and on the ground under the jeep. I'd personally take it to a good 4wd shop and have them look it over, to be sure that you're not missing something. There will be a lot of

While the above info is GREAT.. I woudl suggest a 91 or newer YJ. The frame's are stronger and the tubs a galvonized... Once again 10K is alot, so if you want the CJ look by a front clip and throw it on. It is a REAL simple swap. Also.... 91 newer I6's are ingected. This will make for alot better gas milage.
If the Jeep does not have a lift yet.. spend the extra $$$ and get the coil convertion... It will give you alot more flex off road .. and a better ride on road

David, thanks for the advice, that helps a lot. It sounds like the CJ-7 is what I want but what do you think about o IIIII o's reply, (just below yours)? I've heard the horror stories about rust in jeeps. The galvanized tubs sounds good but I don't like the look of the YJ, but if I can put a clip on it that might be cool. Better gas mileage sounds good too. I'm not quite clear on what you recommended for lift on Mountain Passes.

I think the reply regarding the YJ has a lot going for it. Yes, the CJ is more classic looking. But yes, you are looking at rust in those older jeeps. Performance-wise, the CJ is built a little more ruggedly--I'd even take the model 20 rear axle over the D-35 found in the Wranglers. The YJ's springs are softer, which makes for a better street ride. Of course, with a new lift, you're probably going to be changing out springs anyway. As far as a new clip goes, I've never done it, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. It's sort of cheating, though, don't you think? If you go with a YJ, I'd definitely find one with fuel injection and the six cyl. engine. Some YJ's had optional D-44's, but I don't know what year models. You'd just have to look around. Of course, you could always find a 44 (or bigger) rear that has been swapped in, or you could do it yourself (the Ford 8.8 and 9 inch rears were/are also popular swaps).<P>Regarding lifts, it's mostly going to be up to you. Your basic choices are: conventional suspension lift, coil-over lift, or spring-over lift. For most applications, the conventional suspension lift will give you all the extra height and articulation you need with less fuss and expense than the other two options. Not to say that it's cheap, or that it's easy to install, but it's cheaper and easier than the other two. <P>Basic suspension lifts come in lift heights from 1" to 6", and are available from many different manufacturers. They cost anywhere from $450 to over $1000. Instalation is not included in that price. Depending upon how high you go, you'll need some extras to account for the new geometry of your driveline, such as steering adjustments, different driveshafts and/or transfer case lowering kit and/or axle shims to point your axle the right direction and/or a slip-yoke elimination kit, etc. I've heard some complaints about the cheap lift kits, but very few about the expensive ones. BDS (Big Dick's Suspension) and OME (Old Man Emu) come to mind as ones I've heard good things about. Find a good 4wd shop to do your instalation.<P>Coil-over conversions replace the leaf springs with coil springs. This gives gobs of articulation, but is very complicated and expensive, since jeeps built before '97 weren't designed for coil springs. Basically, everything has to be fabricated. Probably the most popular lift for hard-core wheelers is the spring-over. This means that the spring pack, which is normally below the axle, is re-positioned above the axle, giving over 6" of lift, and much more articulation. However, there are a lot of problems with this as well, including an alteration in the ride of your jeep, making it much more prone to roll-over.<P>Ultimately, all of this is up to you. I wouldn't try to do everything at once. I'd suggest getting involved with a 4wd club, and talking to the members about what they have. You'll also then have a first-hand opportunity to see what works and what doesn't. Good luck.<P>------------------1974 CJ-5Chevy 350, T-18Locked F & R[addsig]

Ok David, I think I'm sold on a CJ-5, (maybe a 7)from the 70's era. I like the comment on the older axle. I think it's hard to beat the looks of the CJ. Didn't like the ideal of changing the front clip, I'm like you, it's kindof cheating, (no offense oIIIo). Thanks for the advice. Oh, $10,000 was just a guess what I would need. The $5,000 is much more comfortable.This is a retirement vehicle...hopefully.

Back