Clutch Life Expectancy

southtj

I know that it will vary depending on vehicle and driving style but does anyone know about how long you can expect a clutch to last in a TJ? I've got about 48k on mine and hope I still have awhile before replacing. I have no symptoms yet but I can tell that it is "looser" than when it was new. When did you change yours?

Ive got 37k on mine, and I will HAVE to replace it before the end of the year.

Jeez you guys need to learn how to drive a stick.
I have 270,000 miles on mine, no joke. I remember way back when I was young my mother would need a clutch about every 18 months, and I thought she was the worst manual trans driver I had heard of, till you guys came along.

135K here and still no symptoms (knocking HEAVILY on wood). I know it's just a matter of time, but I'm amazing she's still going strong. Had an '88 S-15 that the clutch went out around 120K. Went out suddenly at a red light at 6 in the morning with no warning signs.

I will be changing mine when it goes out and forces me to shift "clutchless" to get home or when it starts showing some symptoms (slipping, chattering, cluncking, etc.).

I'm at 141k and me being a young teenager and on 35's with the stock gears I've had no problems, and i give it hell sometimes

I know how to drive, but sometimes crap is installed when it shouldnt be. I am the second owner, but the previous owner only put 6000 miles on her.

I believe most manufacturers recommend 60 thousand under "normal" driving conditions.:shades:

Had trouble all the time with my clutch cable bending. NO more I had a machinist build me a new clutch system with a rod for the cable. This clutch rides smooth now and no problems.

Just remember to change that fluid (transmission) at the correct intervals, depending on driving conditions. If you get water anywhere near the vent tube, change the fluid just to be safe.

Yeah, I'd like to know the signs too, I have 86k on my 02 TJ and i THINK its doing fine, but then again, I have stock gears, 33" tires, and don't have a clue what the signs of needing new gears are.

Well mine makes this screeching sound when at at a stop and in gear, and you can't go from reverse to 1st without turning the engine off and it pulls a little with the clutch in, so yeah i say its gone haha

TJ Jeep you have what sounds to me like a throwout bearing that is starting to go, and a slave cylinder issue not a bad friction disk or pressure plate.

I know how to drive, but sometimes crap is installed when it shouldnt be. I am the second owner, but the previous owner only put 6000 miles on her.

If all you are getting is 30,000-40,000 miles on a clutch then somebody is doing something wrong, and it isn't me. What you mean by "crap is installed....."I have no idea what you are trying to say there. Maybe you are trying to say the po ruined the clutch in only 6000 miles. Thats possible, but then you wouldn't have gotten another 30,000 miles out of it.

I checked with Mcleod, Centerforce,Bendix, Rockford powertrain, South Bend, LUK and nobody puts any sort of mileage estimate on how long a clutch should last because of too many variables. But they all agreed as a daily driver with a relatively stock setup a clutch should last way beyond the warranty.

Last edited:

TJ Jeep you have what sounds to me like a throwout bearing that is starting to go, and a slave cylinder issue not a bad friction disk or pressure plate.
Well for $180 i can get a whole new clutch kit and 141k on the stock clutch, its time for a new one

Well at 141488k mine is starting to crap out on me :(

BUTTTTT what are some signs that IS going?

Hey, I'm proud of you, and I have hope for mine (136K on the original)!!!!! Signs that it's going are if it starts slipping, if it starts "catching" higher and higher as you release the pedal, and, of course, any strange noises coming from that area. For both our sakes, I hope none of those signs have appeared yet!!!!

Back