What do you guys think about "Cash-for-clunkers"

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I've been living under a rock, but I've just heard about this program, where the government will give you cash for (and crush) your old car, and in exchange you'll buy a new ride.

here's the details from cars.gov:

• Your vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date
  • Only purchase or lease of new vehicles qualify
  • Generally, trade-in vehicles must get 18 or less MPG (some very large pick-up trucks and cargo vans have different requirements)
  • Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in
  • You don't need a voucher, dealers will apply a credit at purchase
  • Program runs through Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
  • The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle, and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

I've got a number of concerns about this:
  1. This program is going to take people who have been driving older paid for cars and put $20,000 or so of debt on them
  2. I'd really debate if crushing an older car and building a new car that gets as little as 2 mpg (for a truck, 4 for a car) more is good for the environment
  3. Why only a new cars? Why not a rebate for a used car purchase?
This seems like a pretty obvious boon for the automakers. What do you guys think?

I don't like the program, and I will not participate in it..

Well also for the month of August, (from what I understand) Chrysler will give you an extra amount up to 4500 for one of their new vehicles. That would include Jeep. :bomb::bomb::bomb: Yeah, alls I need now is to have registered my old clunker a year ago, convince them that my nasty credit score is actually better than it is, and even I might qualify to float a loan on a brand new Rub :rolleyes: (with AIR CONDITIONING!!!):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It works on people who's been wanting to get a new vehicle but doesn't have a good trade in value on their current vehicle. I personnally don't want the car payments.

I feel if your in the position to take advantage of this oportunity, great! But to be eligable, your conditions have to be just so, ie; able to float a new car loan, have a car worth less than that of the credit allowed, and the mpg thing. But in this economy, these guidlines would be hard met,
* Example: my "clunker" is a well built, good running, gas guzzling, 2000 Lincoln. loaded, and its paid for. I am layed off, and not eligable for a new car loan, so what is my insentive? Nothing!
If it were geered more toward US built cars exclusively, it would be more respected in my book.
If this is the governments attempt to boost new car sales, just come out and say it, dont try to "candy coat" it for the tree huggers with the 'ol fuel
efficiency card!

If it works, all the power! But I have my doubts that it will. IMHO
BTW, I pay cash for all my clunkers, dont want payments hangin over my head either, employed, or not.

Last edited:
It's stupid. the money they will give is less than the actual trade in value. Out of curiousity, I wen tto eh dealership to see what they would give me for my 98 gmc pick up. It is hi miles, 190K+ but it is mint condition. with the dealership "match" they would only give me $2000 for it. Last month the dodge dealership was going to give me a $4500 trade in value.

again... Stupid.

I guess it was a success.The news said they may have to stop it because the government is running out of money they had set aside for the program.

I think it's worse to see that the traded vehicle is a Jeep cherokee with a 4.0. They are required to pour a glass silicate in the engine and run the engine around 2000rpm for about 2-5 minutes and then let it cool down. After that, the engine is locked up.The dealer then has to tag the vehicle for the crushers. I don't like the program for wasting a good engine for this matter, not to mention the additional cost to get the wrecker to take it to the crusher.

If the government really wanted to help people out they would take all the "clunkers" and part them out for free and then crush the rest.May as well help out the people that can not afford,or do not want a new car.

i actually thought about it but the blue book value on my jeep is like 2500 and i ve put way more than the 4500 they will give you for my so called clunker so hell no they can take my left nutt before they take my jeep i wonder if they have cash for left nutz then i might participate.

i actually thought about it but the blue book value on my jeep is like 2500 and i ve put way more than the 4500 they will give you for my so called clunker so hell no they can take my left nutt before they take my jeep i wonder if they have cash for left nutz then i might participate.

I agree,but if they looked at the right nut there would be no deal then.:lol:

So does the vehicle even have to be complete? If you know someone who wants the engine...just pull it out then roll the car into the dealership. hahaha

I can be wrong but I think it has to be driven in and be legal..As far as inspection and insurance on the vehicle.If not I am on my way to the junk yard to by a car and I will tow it in.:lol:

I can be wrong but I think it has to be driven in and be legal..As far as inspection and insurance on the vehicle.If not I am on my way to the junk yard to by a car and I will tow it in.:lol:

So does the vehicle even have to be complete? If you know someone who wants the engine...just pull it out then roll the car into the dealership. hahaha
Yes, the car has to be registered and running and driven to the participating dealership. They will take pictures of the vehicle inside out and file it with the documentations for the CFC and submitted to the agency incharge of the program. However, i don't think they will go thru the trouble of checking the engine serial number if in case it has been swapped.

Well since the government owns an auto company now it only makes sense that they're trying to push their wares.

I think I'll trade in my XJ and get myself a Prius :D

It would have been nice to trade my 89 4x4 Burb in on a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon but it been out here on the desert property and never registered since I got it over a year ago. NUTS!!! :cry:

X2 Terry, i tried to save a Cherokee sport. Everything was still good on this Jeep but there was nothing i could do to save it from its inevitable crushing faith.

Back