Help!!

Sunbow

Hello,

I'm about to have my 2005 Jeep Liberty towed back East. How is the best way-tow bar or carrier? My plans were to rent a 10 foot truck for my things and a tow bar, but Budget rental says I have to rent a 16 foot truck and a carrier.

Thanks,
Diana

If that's what they say, it's their truck. But a tow-bar works fine as long as it's used properly. Get a hitch that allows the towbar to be level, and leave the transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral. Turn the ignition key just enough to unlock the steering wheel.

If you really want to flat-tow, find a rental truck with a hitch and don't tell them.

I would just put it on the trailer. I would NOT use the stupid tire straps they provide only... Get 4 10,000 lb straps and secure the jeep to the trailer with them at all four corners, criss crossing in the rear.

I just moved from VA to CO a month back. I used budget for the move. As stated I had to use a 16' truck and I used a carrier for my 05 Rubi. I liked the idea of saving wear and tear on my jeep being that it was on the carrier. Long drive, but flawless. Be sure that if you go that route google for budget discount codes and reserve online to help with the cost. I found a code that saved me 200 bucks!

Back