New Jeep advice?

Firth

I'm new here, so first, hello all! I've suddenly gotten the Jeep bug and I'm looking into buying one. Currently I own a 83 Subaru wagon (2WD) and an 95 GMC Sonoma pickup (2WD). I live somewhere where 4WD will be highly beneficial, and there's no sense in owning two vehicles for me. And I'm not about to cut the front of my Subaru off and weld it to the front of the Sonoma and put the Sonoma engine in the bed and install two gas pedals (you get the idea).

I'm looking for a strictly utilitarian vehicle, no accessories. My favorite all time driver was my 67 Dodge van (but that finally burnt me out on doing repairs). Rumored rough highway driving is a blessing to me. So, I see that the new Wrangler SE can be bought with the bare minimum of nothing, but it's only available with the 4 cyl engine. The X has the 6 cyl engine, but a buncha crap I don't want or need (i.e. backseat, tape player, etc).

A few questions/looking for suggestions:

- How does the 4 cyl engine compare to the 6 cyl (especially endurance)?

- Is it possible to buy an SE with a 6 cyl engine, or to buy an X without any accessories?

- Might I be able to buy an old CJ without having to work on it all the time?

Really I'm just looking for general suggestions for someone whose looking for a 4WD non-luxury vehicle. I'd buy a Hummer, but they're just absurd for daily driving (and out of my price range).[addsig]

I'd say look for a low mileage YJ (87-95). It will get you where you need to go (Most of the time) and isn't too luxurious. You can usually pick up an early 90's YJ with the 6 cyl for around 5 grand.[addsig]

Back