Help! Jeep wannabe/single dad trying to make a good choice

daddyo2

Hi, I need to replace my terminating lease (pontiac torrent). Divorcing and money is tight, and I am looking for inexpensive entry, reliable vehicle with minimal repair needs, or at least reasonable costs, preferably running no problem for several months. Want all-wheel drive/all-weather capability, and safety. Jeep Wrangler seems like more fun option than Honda/toyota, and likely close to similar reliability, etc. Also, like to hunt & fish

My budget is 3k tops, MAYBE 3,500, but the cheaper the better. Live in NY. What can I reasonably expect, be looking for? Jeep prices/model years seem to vary widely and without respect to mileage, and, of course, all ads say "runs great", etc. WOuld a pre-sale visit to a jeep mechanic be worth the dough/spot most major problems?

A sample of what I am seeing locally in my price range (crgs-list - bad idea?):

1989 wrangler 4.2 straight 6 cyl with 134k, brand new interior and tires very clean engine, brand new soft top, will throw a hard top and bikini top too!! NO rust what so ever. 3000 or best offer

1992 Wrangler 4 cylinder 40,000 miles original yellow color. Price: 4,000

1989 Wrangler grey hardtop,auto,four wheel drive,105k,Great condition,very clean $2000

1990 Jeep Wrangler, New windshield and frame with seals, 122,000 miles 6 cyl 5 speed, Hardtop Overhead speakers. Floors are rubberized/no rust
New tires Tuned up Runs good $2350

Helpful advice most appreciated. I dont want to drive a honda. Referrals to NY mechanics/dealers/reputable sellers appreciated as well. Also, some cherokees apppear to be in my range, but I get the impression they break more and more costly to repair. Of course, you replacing a jeep that falls into my price range and want to be an "angel", do let me know!

Thanks in advance and hope to become more frequent poster here soon!

Steve

Go look. Look at the frames. Make sure there not rusty as hell. a little surface rust isn't an issue, but a lot of rust will be.

Stick with the 4.0 straight six. Cant beat that engine with a stick.

THANKS!

I am not mechanically inclined. Any advice on narrowing what I look at beyond the engine type and frame (for that I would likely use a mechanic, and I dont want to run in a dozen vehicles).

Are my assumptions on reliability/avoiding repair costs in near term reasonable? How can I maximize my odds there?

Take each possible suspect out for a test drive. Jeeps are not very quiet vehicles by nature but listen for any excess noises(belts squeaking, loud booms, etc.). Get it out and cut the wheel back and forth a few times to make sure it's not ridiculously loose(keep in mind again it is a jeep and will not drive like a sports car). It's been said to obviously check for rust but in your price range you'll most likely end up with something leaf sprung and the rear leaf shackle is one of the first places most jeeps usually rust so I always check there first. I've owned both the 4 cylinder and inline 6 and they are both well built motors with the 6 taking the lead in both power and durability/reliability. Pop the hood and see if there are any obvious places leaking and it doesn't hurt to crawl underneath and check for leaks. I've never come across a jeep that hasn't had some sort of a leak but you have to make sure they aren't bleeding profusely. I don't know how much time you are given to find this vehicle but once you go out and get some hands on experience with looking at them it becomes easier to identify the lemons from the solid platforms. Don't be afraid to pass up a jeep at first if you have any misgivings about it.

For your price range you will most likely find YJ's 87-95.4 cylinder engines.If your not looking for a money pit I would stay away from lifted Jeeps.They will also have high miles,not really a problem with that.If it has carpet in it roll it back to check for rust or holes in the floor.Also check to see if there is any smoke coming out the exhaust.The other thing I noticed about your post is that you want all wheel drive.A jeep is not all wheel drive.It is 4 wheel drive.the difference is you have to put the jeep into 4 wheel drive versus an all wheel drive is in all the time.As far as garage suggestions that would depend on what part of NY your from.

If the price and the hype are too good to be true...well...you know the rest!

Wranglers and even some decent CJ's can be very much over-priced..so for $2000 to $4000 to get one of these in rust-free, good mechanical condition sounds a little too good to be true.

You might find a better deal in your price range on a good '92 to '98 4x4 Cherokee XJ or Grand Cherokee ZJ.

That's not to say that you can't stumble upon a great deal on a Wrangler...it's just hard to find one in your price range that won't need a lot more $$$ to fix it up and get it into good condition.

As was said before...test drive and learn as much as you can before pulling the trigger.

Good luck,

Larry

I would not suggest getting a jeep. Simple because of your pending seperation, if her lawyer is good enough, they will see that you bought the jeep, which is commonly viewed as a "fun" and "non-practicle" vehicle. this is cause for you having to pay her more money most times... It's a indulgence.

Go buy an older Suburu Outback or something, drive it for a while till you have more cash flow and the divorce is finalized, then go buy a jeep.

for your price range and knowing how they over salt the roads in tne horth east, look for a 93-95 4 cyl 5 speed jeep

If you do end up getting a YJ (square headlight Wrangler) keep in mind that the Fuel Injected versions (later ones) are usually easier to keep running. If you need to pass emissions testing the Fuel Injected engine tends to be easier to make pass. Also, there's nothing wrong with a Cherokee. Check underneath for rust - Cherokee's are unitized and rust is their killer. The drivetrain in a Cherokee is nearly the same as a Wrangler (find one with a standard shift and manual 4WD). Best of luck - John

WARNING: Jeeps can cause a non-cureable addiction. Once bitten by Jeeping there could be no turning back.

I would not suggest getting a jeep. Simple because of your pending seperation, if her lawyer is good enough, they will see that you bought the jeep, which is commonly viewed as a "fun" and "non-practicle" vehicle. this is cause for you having to pay her more money most times... It's a indulgence.

Go buy an older Suburu Outback or something, drive it for a while till you have more cash flow and the divorce is finalized, then go buy a jeep.

for your price range and knowing how they over salt the roads in tne horth east, look for a 93-95 4 cyl 5 speed jeep

This sounds like very reasonable advice!

As for the 4 Cyl YJ, the reason he is suggesting these years is that (1) the roll bar (sorry, "sports bar"!) covers the back seats better (suitable for the single parent part), and the engine is MPFI (vs TBI in the earlier models), which is more efficient and has a bit more power.

I would not rule out an XJ, which is as capable as a Wrangler, but is a bit more family oriented and seen less as a "toy" than a family car... Like JPS said, it will save you some headaches!

Felipe

I have a '95 Wrangler with the 4cyl/5spd combo. I love it. But I also got an extremely good deal on my Wrangler. I paid much less than it is currently worth on bluebook. If you are tight on cash, trust me when I say that a Wrangler is not the best option right now. Even after I got mine, even with the fact that it is in damn-near excellent condition for the year, I have still had to spend a little cash on it to keep it running perfect (and that isn't even mentioning upgrades!) They are money pits, plain and simple, just not in the 'constantly breaking down' way. Jeep stands for 'Just Empty Every Pocket.' The difference from other cars is, it's a money pit in that good way where you actually want to spend that money.

If you get a Wrangler you will find out very quickly that Jeeps are as addictive as crack -- but, of course, without all those harmful side effects. I did get withdrawals when mine got rear-ended and had to spend two months in a shop, though. I had to drive a mid-size rental the entire time. It was hell.

In your situation at this point in time I would hold off on the Jeep. Like others have said, wait until your divorce is finalized. Wranglers are definitely considered a toy more than a practical vehicle. For now, spend a grand or two on a cheap but running car like an old Honda Accord or somesuch. In a year when the divorce is done, THEN spring for the Wrangler -- you won't look back afterwards, trust me. Jeeps are cheap to insure (full coverage on mine is a pittance) and cheap to maintain, and you'll still have that Accord you bought a year earlier for the gas prices/long roadtrips factor.

Some peeps here mentioned the Cherokee as a good choice. I have essentially owned two (first a Laredo and then a Wagoneer Limited) and they are great vehicles. They are stout, reliable, get relatively good gas mileage in the later years, and they are just great all-around cars. They are excellent for families. But NOTHING compares to a Wrangler. There's just nothing better than driving around with the doors and the top off 8) Not only that, you'll be getting the little ones started on Jeeping early, and that is never a bad thing. It can definitely turn into a family thing, my family is proof; we all own or have owned Jeeps of some kind.

Last edited:
This sounds like very reasonable advice!

As for the 4 Cyl YJ, the reason he is suggesting these years is that (1) the roll bar (sorry, "sports bar"!) covers the back seats better (suitable for the single parent part), and the engine is MPFI (vs TBI in the earlier models), which is more efficient and has a bit more power.

I would not rule out an XJ, which is as capable as a Wrangler, but is a bit more family oriented and seen less as a "toy" than a family car... Like JPS said, it will save you some headaches!

Felipe

Just to clarify dates:

All I4 Wranglers come with fuel injection out of the box. 1991 & up I6 have fuel injection. 1992 & up have the full “sports bar” over the back seat. Since you have kids they may be a better choice.

I would stay away from any of the carbureted offerings, they will only bring you heartache (and maybe a repair bill too). As everyone else said look for rust etc. All good info but the dates I give above would be my driving force.

Last edited:
well,based on my experience,jeeps are the coolest thing known to man.there are three categories-buy a new one or one completely done as you want-very$$$$$,or buy an old beat-to-death one,better be very mechanically inclined-will nickle and dime you to death!or,do as i did and find a gently used,very clean one.somewhat more affordable!as much as i love my tj,i must say that there is very little space,so beware of that!if you are willing to deal with limited space,and not so great gas mileage,you are a jeep guy!

Back