Need help purchasing a Wrangler

Randy993

Hello,
This is my first post and I want to say it looks like you have a very active forum here. I need some help and advice on purchasing my first used Wrangler. I am planing on spending around 12k. It looks like that puts me in a '98-04 year range? What I want is a manual transmision,ac,full doors,hardtop,6cly. I want the hardtop for winter and I figured I could get the soft top for summer, if it doesn't come with both. Is that the way to look at the top situation. It seems like more availability of jeeps in soft tops, but I'm not sure about sourcing a hardtop and what will interchange. I'm not into serious off road. I guess what I'm asking is difference in drivetrain, model changes, enhancements, mileage issues that might help narrow my search to the best jeep for my money.
Thanks in advance,
Randy

Hey, welcome to Jeepz!

When I bought my Jeep, I got it with both the hard and soft top thinking I would want the hard for the winter. Well after the first year I sold it. First, the hard top was always a pain for me to put on and remove. Second you had to worry about storing it somewhere. Third, there was no reason to have a hard top. It's just as loud with the soft or hard top. In the winter, the TJ heater works great to keep you warm with just the soft top. No matter how cold it got I had to turn down the temp to keep from burning up.

Good luck in your search.

'98 to '04!?! that is arguably the best Jeeps made. Many people say that the TJ (97-06) are the most capable Jeeps out there. I personally am partial to the old Willys flatfenders. I would agree that the hardtop would be the way to go for me too for the AC containment factor here in the desert heat. You should be able to find a fairly decent little Jeep for that amount. I would also say that usually if it's lifted with big tires and scratches & dings everywhere that it's prolly been rode hard and put away wet.

I'm seeing jeeps priced local (central NC) from $8500 to $12500 with mileage from 50k to 110k. What do I need to look for in the higher mileage examples. Types of service that completed, ect...
Randy

Ours is a 1997 4-banger with 142,000 miles, but it was very clean and seemed to be well-cared for. Only bought it six weeks ago, cost $4495.

I have a 97 4 banger 155k miles.only fluid problem I have is power steering pump leaks.I also only paid 3800 for mine.I know the 6 is more nut for your price range you can get a nice rubi with mods.

Back