Looking for a answer,cutting half of my frame

taz

Found a 1979 cj7 frame,which front of frame been cut off.NOW question is ,i have my 79 cj 7 with rusted out shock towers,an rest of rear frame isnt worth it. Was thinking of useing that other half of frame? An cutting my old frame away.Which is about half of the jeep.so id weld both togethere,an put a 12"long channel or longer over both parts an bolt an weld.ANY 1think this will work??or even possable:rolleyes:?

Found a 1979 cj7 frame,which front of frame been cut off.NOW question is ,i have my 79 cj 7 with rusted out shock towers,an rest of rear frame isnt worth it. Was thinking of useing that other half of frame? An cutting my old frame away.Which is about half of the jeep.so id weld both togethere,an put a 12"long channel or longer over both parts an bolt an weld.ANY 1think this will work??or even possable:rolleyes:?

I did a simular thing on a truck I had that developed a crack, scaring the dog poo-poo out of me. I strapped it with bolts and later welded it. Remember that for welding, cleanliness is the key. Take the time to clean the metal and chamfer the butted edges. you can do this without a c channel if you take your time and be VERY sure there are no slag inclusins. If weldeing is not your profession and you're not VERY good at it, channel it.
I almost forgot, I would build a jig to hold the frame, cut and reinstall the two good halves back in the jig.
There's no way you could use the entire frame? Or prehaps, just the shock mounts? This is gonna be a lot of work.

Thanks 4 ur input. I wish ,but the bone yard cut the front half off.Taken the full front an engine an tran.tub was sold also.:(

That's OK, if you can remove the shock mounts and reinstall them on your frame. I would patch from there as needed.

Back