WILLYS vs WRANGLER

I think if that TJ had the same tires as that Willys he wouldn't have gotten stuck.

A few years ago, my brother went out showing off his new chevy 4x4. He hit the mud and got stuck. Well he comes walking back from the desert and asks if I could help him out. He wanted shovels and bodies. Well we grabbed up the shovels and a 20,000 pound chain from my rig. We go out there and he was buried to the axles. Hooked up the chain and tried to pop him out. I ripped the tow hitch from my Jeep. Next we hooked the chain to the front bumper and after popping him 5 times, I got him out. Sadly, the radiator went into the fan. Mad rush home (3 miles cross country) I made it and broke out the hose. Cooled the engine down and then made the repair list.
New Front and rear bumpers: 3 inch square tube DOT bumpers. Free, had in back yard
New Radiator (upgraded to 4 core) 175.00 THX D&D radiator
New 7 blade flex fan. 40.00 carquest

Repairs to idiot brothers pick up. New bumper, Trip to shop to replace whole IFS. New transfer case, transmission rebuilt . 5k nothing was under warrentee. gotta read the fine print

Yes, well I'm a Willys man too, for certain, but that don't mean I don't like the newer ones too. I just prefer the old Willys'. I always wanted an MB.

Dang I love me some flat fenders. Dad had one when I was a kid, loved Jeeps ever since. It may not have gone over 50 mph but climbed anything in it's path, and it wasn't running fat mud tires. What does it say for the Wrangler.

Babes.....that is a Jk, not a TJ. :-| Check out the tilted grill, the overly huge fenders, etc. also, "2007 Wrangler" in the title. I not sayin' I'm just sayin', LOL.

I was gonna say the same...

Sure, the Willys is undeniably tougher... just not something I wanna drive down US-127 to get to work :p

I was gonna say the same...

Sure, the Willys is undeniably tougher... just not something I wanna drive down US-127 to get to work :p

Oh yeah, I drove a YJ to and from work, 4cyl, 5spd MT, and NO AC. I would stop on the way and get TWO bottled waters, one to drink and one to dump over my head and down my shirt. When it's 120's out, you NEED AIR CONDITIONING!!! My Willys is definately not a DD.
Wrangler, even with air, would not be the "commuter vehicle" of choice anyways.

Last edited:
I love them ALL, 2006 and older. I would own one of each Jeep ever made if I had the $ and the room for them! I have tried to buy a couple MB's but dang if they aren't rusted out and the the owner wants $2500.00 for the darn thing.

I love them ALL, 2006 and older. I would own one of each Jeep ever made if I had the $ and the room for them! I have tried to buy a couple MB's but dang if they aren't rusted out and the the owner wants $2500.00 for the darn thing.

Every time the Jeep changes, you hear complaints. I would get a new one too. Remember the YJ thing? "real jeeps have round headlights", remember when AMC added the length to the CJ5? "real jeeps have the short wheelbase for a reason" When Willys came out with the CJ5, "They just came out with the CJ3B, we don't want that thing" A buddy of mine has a 06 Rub and said about the JK's, "Real Jeeps don't have V6's, they need the torque the I6 gives" and I reminded him about the Willys CJ5 that ran a Buick V6 from the factory. I'ld buy a new JK if I could, I just wouldn't sell my Willys to do it.:shades:

Of course, Willys!! \m/

Only time will tell. Keep that TJ around for, say, 50 years and try the same stunts with it! That's where a Willys wins. My tub is just that... barely a tub. But it gets me out of every sticky situation every time!! :D

Somewhere I've got pics of me pulling out a stuck Rubicon with my Ranger. :D

(In fairness, I will admit that he high-centered it which is not easy to do with a Wrangler. Lockers don't do much good when your tires aren't touching the ground.)

Back