Jeep to offer diesel in 2011

jbdayojeep

I ran across this article in the Toledo Blade (newspaper) this morning: Article published December 24, 2009
Jeep Islander due for rerun in 2010; Wrangler version to be built here

Zoom | Photo Reprints
By LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE
BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

Toledo's most venerated product is about to get a little Tiki freaky.

The Jeep Wrangler - born on drawing boards in Toledo in 1940 and still made here 69 years later - will resurrect its former Islander Edition for a limited production run in February.

The special Islander Editions of the Wrangler and four-door Wrangler Unlimited will feature 17-inch aluminum painted black wheels and large mud-terrain tires, tubular side steps, dark gray seats with surf-blue inserts and stitched-in blue Jeep logos, a leather-wrapped steering wheel with surf-blue stitching, and rubber slush mats.

The vehicles, a $995 upgrade package to the regular Sport versions of the two and four-door Wranglers, will be available in only three colors - surf blue, white, and black - and sport a large decal with a Tiki on the hood. Fewer than 1,000 are expected to be made.

A Wrangler Sport model with the Islander package is expected to start at $22,910, while a four-door Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4x4 with the Islander package would start at a retail price of $26,330.

A spokesman for Chrysler Group LLC refused to confirm the details of the Islander Edition. Local Jeep dealers, however, said they have ordered the vehicles, which dealers said will be produced all in February at the Toledo Jeep Assembly complex.

The automaker recently re-registered "Islander" and "Renegade," trade names formerly associated with variations of the Wrangler. Chrysler last made an
Islander edition of the Wrangler in the early 1990s.

Zoom | Photo Reprints
During its marathon press conference on Nov. 4 when it laid out its five-year business plan, Chrysler executives said they intended to produce a number of "special models" and derivatives of the Wrangler in 2010, which the automaker called "the anchor of the Jeep brand."

The automaker also said it planned to upgrade the Wrangler's interior in 2010 and its powertrain in 2011, when it will introduce a much-sought-after diesel engine to the North American versions of the original SUV.

News of the Islander version comes as workers at Toledo Jeep have begun an extended three-week shutdown, one week longer than their traditional winter holiday.

Workers are scheduled to return to their jobs the week of Jan. 11, instead of the week of Jan. 4, as will workers at most other Chrysler plants. The latter callback is related to the lagging sales of Toledo-made SUVs, the automaker said.

Though it hasn't officially acknowledged the existence of the Islander version yet, it is likely that Chrysler officials will use the special-edition vehicle as a draw for the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next month.

Chrysler officials have confirmed the automaker won't hold a press conference to introduce new vehicles or concepts at the auto show.

Still, dealers and Jeep enthusiasts were excited about the temporary return of the Islander, and predicted the automaker might follow with other special editions later in 2010, including Desert, Polar, and Urban Edition variations.

"The new company's really doing it right, putting the Wrangler up on the pedestal that it deserves," said Ralph Mahalak, Jr., co-owner of Monroe Dodge Superstore in Monroe.

"I ordered six so far. These will be fun."

Contact Larry P. Vellequette at:
lvellequette@theblade.com
or 419-724-6091.

Sounds like Great News!! The Wrangler is a Survivor on PAPER as it is OFF ROAD.

sounds like another Chrysler/jeep screw up like the 3.7 motors in liberty's compass and commander,, consumer to be the test dummy and find out they break down with faulty parts breaking in Eng to find out its not covered in drive train warranty , wouldn't touch one again until they get a good review .

Report: First Extended Service Corporation

Reported By: (Greenwood South Carolina)

PO Box 130745
Dallas Texas 75313
U.S.A.
Phone: 800-5273426
Web Address:

Category: Auto manufactures

Submitted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Last posting: Thursday, October 08, 2009

On Friday, September 28th, 2007, I was driving home from having my 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport cleaned and detailed. Approximately 1.5 miles from my home, my engine light came on and the engine started running erratically. I made it to my home but felt that I should have my vehicle towed in because the engine was making a noise as well. I had my engine towed in to the Chrysler dealership where I had originally purchased it. They told me it would be Monday before they could get to it. I was called on Monday, October 1st and they told me that they removed my valve cover and found abnormal amounts of oil sludge which caused the engine to fail. Since my engine had 62,000 miles on it, my extended warrenty would have to cover the cost to replace the engine. The service man called First Extended Service Corporation. The service man called me back and said that First Extended Service Corporation denied the claim because I had no receipts of having routine maintenance done on my vehicle ( I have been doing my own maintenance on all of my vehicles for almost 30 years!). The dealership fixed the 4 safety recalls but I refused to pay for a new engine...therefore they did not fix the engine. I contacted my attorney and have sent a letter to Chrysler and a letter to First Extended Service Corporation. I did a bit of research and found that a major problem exists with the Chrysler 3.7 liter engine having major oil sludge problems. I maintained my vehicle with products that exceeded the manufacturer requirements. I am still in the process of sending additional letters to get my engine replaced. I wish I had known about the problem with the Chrysler 3.7 liter engine beforehand and also how First Extended Service Corp. denies legitimate claims. This entire situation has been a complete ripoff from Chrysler not recalling an obviously defective engine and also because the extended warranty is a complete ripoff as well.

Thomas
Greenwood, South Carolina
U.S.A.

same thing happened to me and mine was a 06 liberty with 50000miles on it sure ruined my love for chrysler/jeep
just may go to Japanese

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow John!! that is some scary news right there. I never buy anything brand new. I like to wait a year or two and read consumer reviews. I like to see how quick the manufacturer is to own up to the fact that there may be problems ("bugs") that need to be solved and how dedicated they are to customer satisfaction. How long does the same issue have to exist in hundreds or thousands of the same vehicle before they do a recall? I like to know the answers to those questions. Adopting that practice has saved me from getting stuck with a few nightmare vehicles.

I like the idea of the islander coming back. I thought the stickers on the old YJs were a bit goofy, but this new look sounds good. I like the custom seats (as long as they are truly waterproof)

Update on the diesel plans (from the Toledo Blade today):
Article published January 13, 2010
No diesel for Wrangler - not yet, Jeep CEO says

Jeep brand CEO Michael Manley, shown in a Wrangler Islander, says there are no plans to offer the Wrangler with a diesel engine in North America. But he added he has learned 'to never say never.'
( THE BLADE/ANDY MORRISON )
Zoom | Photo Reprints
BLADE STAFF

DETROIT - The Jeep Wrangler won't get a diesel engine in North America in 2011, as Chrysler Group LLC had implied when it laid out its five-year business plan on Nov. 4. At least not yet.

Instead, Wranglers in North America will likely receive Chrysler's new Pentastar V6 engine when its powertrain is refreshed next summer. All Jeep Wranglers are built at the Toledo Jeep Assembly complex.

Jeep enthusiasts were excited to learn last year that the original SUV would receive a diesel variant in North America. Though diesel fuel costs more, diesel engines offer greater fuel economy and greater torque, important for off-roading enthusiasts.

"We have no plans at the moment for diesel Jeeps in North America, although one of the things I've learned in this business is to never say never," said Michael Manley, president and chief executive officer of the Jeep brand. "I wouldn't rule it out, but specifically on Nov. 4, we were commenting on diesel in Europe."

Mr. Manley said Chrysler intends to keep the "Jeep DNA" in Jeep vehicles so as to guard the reputation of the Wrangler.

"This vehicle is really the icon of the brand. It's the first vehicle that comes into everybody's mind, and it has huge, huge importance to us," he said. "What we really want to do with it is to make sure it stays the icon of the brand, and I think for us, when we listen to our customers, we get a range of feedback" asking for improved powertrain and more refinement.

Mr. Manley said that the automaker intends to continue with a series of limited-production special editions of the Wrangler during 2010, following up on the Islander and Mountain editions of the vehicle that Chrysler rolled out for this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
The special editions, along with interior improvements to be introduced this summer and powertrain improvements slated for next year, are to help grow sales of the vehicle.

It celebrates the 70th anniversary of its design this summer.

- Larry P. Vellequette

same thing happened to me and mine was a 06 liberty with 50000miles on it sure ruined my love for chrysler/jeep
just may go to Japanese

Sorry to hear about that, John, I can tell you one thing, General Motors are worse yet. Those warrantees and extended warrantees are useless as far as I am concerned. I been thinking new vehicle in about 6 mos/ a year or so. Jeep Wrangler, of coarse is under consideration for certain. :shock: Yikes!! maybe so, maybe no.:shock:

Back