Tire chains on a Jeep

bootguy

Had an interesting conversation today regarding tire chains. I was looking for chains for 31" tires and the parts guy told me $150 for cable chains. Told him he was smoking crack, he thn told me that chains are not required on a 4wd vehicle (BS). Found a place online to get actual chains, the question though is front or rear in 4wd? I do have a Detroit tru-trac in the rear.

Depends on what you are doing with the Jeep.When I use to plow I ran them on all 4 tires.If you are running only two chains I would say the back only.If you do put them on the front watch the steering it changes the handling a lot.Also inspect the chains every time you use them.The damage they can cause if they break is unbelievable.

another thing is to keep bungy straps (black rubber that truckers use). These will help keep the chains tight, which will help keep them from breaking. I drive trucks for a living, put chains on the big truck once a year. As for how many, If your goning to get them, get for all 4 corners.

When I couldn't find chains in my tire size (33/9.50/15) I made my own with 2 cheapo comealongs.

Next time I'll get longer cable though! I was exactly 3" too short to get 4 wraps out of it!

DSC02839-1.jpg

DSC02840-1.jpg

Keep in mind the chains will cause your tires to dig into the snow. That's fine in not so deep stuff...but if it gets deep, you'll want to drive on top of the snow instead

Back