Winch Solenoids clicking

Jeeper99

Hey guys, I was out today using the winch while doing some yard work. It was working fine. Went to use it again and then it just stopped. The solenoids in the control box are just clicking. I checked the leads to the battery and everything is fine. Anyone know what to look at? This is the first time I've had any issue with my winch and I've had it since August. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and it's a Superwinch LP8500

Last edited:

:UPDATE:

Well, after pulling my hair out trying to figure out my winch situation, I pulled the side cover off of the motor today. When I got it off, there was a bunch of gritty, nasty water that came pouring out along with some small blue plastic broken pieces?? Upon further inspection, the whole inside of the motor, armature, brushes etc.... is rusted up and ruined. I cannot for the life of me figure out what caused this. I have had the winch on the front of my Jeep for 5 months. Never been sumberged in water or anything. Could this just be a defect and I was the lucky one that it happend to? I thought the motor housing should have some kind of gaskets to seal it and keep water out?

I bought the winch at Northern Tool. Should I go back to Northern for a return, or straight to Superwinch? Needless to say, this has me very aggrevated as I've only used the winch several times, mostly around the yard pulling out dead bushes.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe u didnt hide your keys well enough... lol Probably go to superwinch first becouse dealers dont like to deal with issues and thats probably what they are gonna tell you to do anyways. As far as gaskets go they usually have one or two main seals but I find the better winches (as in made for water) have multiple seals, that was my research on atv winches anyways. Good luck!

Ouch!! Don't get me wrong, Northern tools sells some okay stuff and also inexpensinve. I buy some stuff from them that's used for light duty work due to the quality. Superwinch or Warn would be a better choice IMO.

I just got off the phone with Superwinch and come to find out, I had one of the defective batch of motors that had a bad gasket seal around the top. They are sending me out a new upgraded motor. :D

Ouch!! Don't get me wrong, Northern tools sells some okay stuff and also inexpensinve. I buy some stuff from them that's used for light duty work due to the quality. Superwinch or Warn would be a better choice IMO.

Hey Mikey, if it is a Superwinch product, what diffrence would it make what company sells them :???: Just wondering what you meant :D

Ha! i missed that Jon. I mis-read the post. I thought you bought one of those off brands off the shelf, my bad.:D, yup, Superwinch is good on their product support.

Ha! i missed that Jon. I mis-read the post. I thought you bought one of those off brands off the shelf, my bad.:D, yup, Superwinch is good on their product support.

Oh, ok... :lol: :drunk:

Back