Hook vs. Loop

Jesse

So I'm looking to buy a tow strap, and my question is, would it be better to get one with a sewn loop or with hooks at the ends? Also any other advice you have or products you'd suggest I'd love to get your input! Any input is welcome.

1. Both work, but I favor the loop with a shackel. I hate when slack gets in line, and the hook falls off what your grabbing. Then there you are drving off, full throttle like an ass-clown.
  2. Buy one rated for OVER what your planned load is. Including the "yank" factor.
  3. If you plan on "yanking" much, they sell one with a "bungee" type area in it to ease the shock to the frame.
  4. Buy a longer one than you think you'll need. You can always double it up.
  5. Hose them off when you done, and let them air dry. It's plenty ok to get them muddy, but dirt grinding in deep weakens them over time (worth 5 mins. of your time).
  6. Get a few shackels, you'll need them. I like the thread/cotter-pin type instead of the just cotter-pin. Pins get lost in the mud/water.
  7. Last but not least, Never-Ever-Ever-Never-EVER use a chain. Chains break and people/windshields get hurt.
Later

I feel stupid asking this but, how is the shackle used? Also any recommendations or tips for the shackles?

Last edited:
You can use them in many ways.

1.Use them to attach to straps together if the one you have is not long enough.

2.Wrap your strap around something like a tree.then use the shackle to attach the loop to the strap.

Attachments

• 10155-md.jpg
    10155-md.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 826
Last edited by a moderator:

I suggest NEVER use a metal hook on a recovery strap, should that strap break, or the hook that is not 100% engagement slip, it becomes a flying projectile potentially causing damage or injury. there was a guy maybe three years ago out on the rubicon that was pulling a friend out with a strap with hooks, it snapped, ripped through the back of the jeep, hitting him in the back of his head killing him instantly.

Don't use metal hooks. Tow straps pack alot of power when they are under load.

I don't even think this strap had a hook, but imagine a nice 2 pound piece of metal on the end.

Do not use a shackle to connect two straps, it too will become a projectile should anything go wrong with the straps or a recovery point on a vehicle.

Feed the two straps through each other and use a light object like a stick or towel between the two loops, this will make taking the straps apart after a pull much easier.

Attachments

• 116041d1228867215-tow-strap-cinch-bone-tow-strap2.jpg
    116041d1228867215-tow-strap-cinch-bone-tow-strap2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 1,720
Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you! It looks like loop it is!

You can use them in many ways.

1.Use them to attach to straps together if the one you have is not long enough.

2.Wrap your strap around something like a tree.then use the shackle to attach the loop to the strap.

We dont avise the use of shackles to join snach straps or Tow ropes as these can also become deadly projectiles if a strap sheers. I have witnessed a number of straps sheer and seen the damage just a strap can do to a vehicle.

We use the following technique with a piece of wooden broomstick place in the loop

Remember to loosen the shackle 1 turn after tightening it otherwise it locks up. Also never use a tow hitch (ball type) as a recovery point as these are designed to sheer (caravan or trailor overturns). There was an Australian killed last year due to a flying tow hitch which sheered during a recovery

Attachments

• straps2.gif
    straps2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,161
A strap with hooks on the end is a TOW strap.
Made just to pull another rolling vehicle.

Recovery straps only have the loop ends for the aforementioned reasons.

Back