Answer me this

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
What is up with southern people and religion?

I just spent a week and a half in Atlanta area, don't get me wrong, I was completely confused, dumbfounded at times by the politeness of people.. (not at all like the north east) I mean people I didn't know were walking past me in the mid town area and smiling and saying Hi for no reason other than to say Hi.. but then I get an obligitory "God Bless" ????

I was eating dinner at this place called vortex bar and grill, you can still smoke inside the bar.. all the female bar staff is tattooed up and dressed like a slutty pin up girl (super hot IMHO) and in my converstaion, I said Jesus Christ as a responce to someone else's coment... I thought the pretty bar maid was going to crack me in the face.

and I quote

"I don't care how much you drink, at my bar we don't use the lords name like that"

so I appologized and proceeded to tell the nice woman that I really don't practice a whole lot of religion, bla bla bla.. she responds

"I don't care, the lord and jesus are our saviors, we need to respect their name"

I proceed to tell her that god and jesus were techincally one person, boy she got ****ed off...

So what is up with southerners and religion.

It may be the whole bible belt thing. I guess there are worse things. At least they don't pray to Allah or Buddha like up here!

LMAO Johnny!! it's like that here too but not as much of the religious comments or gestures. Just a good o'l cowboy kinda friendly environment.

It is likely more involved than just tradition. IMO some people just prefer to stay in touch with their roots.
Religion right or wrong, I sure don't know for sure (under qualified to judge), but I do respect people who care for their traditions and cherish their roots.
In Bavaria, Gruess (Grüss) Gott, Say hello to God, is a traditional greeting. When in Rome and all that.

I usually don't discuss religion or politics because I'm right and I hate people who won't admit they're wrong! :lol:

its not just a southern thing, i am from socal and my mom and dad are pastor at a church in rio frio texas. its just what people believe. i was borught up in the church and feel bad not going but i don't feel like i have to be there or tell people how to talk to believe something. i do it on my own in my own way and don't try to push what i think on others

you can tell when you get into the "south" because its just more relaxed. things are done slower and freindlier. don't know why, its just that way. i know when i was in norfolk, no one said hi at all in the malls. i would say hi while walking and people would ignore me. even when i was in san diego two years ago, everyone said hi back to me. maybe its the sunlight? we get more maybe?

Guy1- So what religion are you

Guy2- I'm catholic

Guy1- How often do you attend services

Guy2- Never been.

I also saw new report with a woman (who was asian, accent and all, and I only mention it cause it adds to the hilarity) who won the lottery and was thanking lord jesus for her helping her win this money... seriously

I moved from DC to Virginia Beach 3 years ago, and was amazed at the difference. I seem to get "God Bless" all the time, or "have a Blessed day". My first reaction was surprise, because you don't hear that much in DC (you'd have to specify the God that was to do the blessing), but I ended up liking it.

The only negative southern religious experience I've had are the guys that stand on the corners in Norfolk shouting at us through bull horns that we're going to hell. That gets old fast.

Maybe it is a life experience thing, or maybe a generational gap but I just know full well not to take the lords name in vain south of the M/D line.
Also I am not offended, but I see nothing funny or odd about the Asian woman thanking Jesus comment. What does her being Asian have to do with her thanking the Lord if anything at all?
Another little FYI for you Jesus was a person and God is not, they are not the same.

Last edited:

I do commend any one who believes in a blind faith.Personally I believe in science and not science-fiction.I find way to many questions in any religion.To follow and believe in some thing no one has ever seen.As far as politics,If everything keeps going the way it is we are all screwed.I think we need to eliminate this republican/democrat line.Why some one can not agree with one item and not another just because they are a REP or DEM is silly to me.So with that said God bless,Have a nice day,Good day mate..which ever you wish..Have a nice day and keep the tires to the mud!:MDB2:

I do commend any one who believes in a blind faith.Personally I believe in science and not science-fiction.I find way to many questions in any religion.To follow and believe in some thing no one has ever seen.As far as politics,If everything keeps going the way it is we are all screwed.I think we need to eliminate this republican/democrat line.Why some one can not agree with one item and not another just because they are a REP or DEM is silly to me.So with that said God bless,Have a nice day,Good day mate..which ever you wish..Have a nice day and keep the tires to the mud!:MDB2:
I also find it hard to swallow Darwin. Random mutations and survival of the fittest. Takes a minimum baseline (gene pool) for a species to continue. Been proven many times, too few of a given species leads to extinction.

Random mutation, the human body has about the same number of parts and processes as a 747 Jumbo Jet, how many pieces can you randomly change and have it still fly?

Darwinian theory is a nice bite sized thought, that the average person can wrap their mind around. The math doesn't work, from the last great extinction event, you as a rodent developing into a human don't have enough ancestors for Darwinian porcesses to be a probably or even likely. Even millions of chances aren't enough tries to randomly change the pieces in a 747 and actually make an improvement and not have it crash and burn.

Sometime somebody is going to have to figure the odds and mathematical probability that we exist by accident or by survival of the fittest. Until then I will remain a skeptic of Darwinian theory. The only sciences I really believe in, are Physics and math and even our understanding of these is constantly changing.

Last edited:

Seeing as I am a scientist, I tend to believe in evolution and not creation. There is some truth to darwins theory, there are mutations that take place, best example that I can think of that we can quantitate.. wisdom teeth, appendix, vestigial tail.

Seeing as I am a scientist, I tend to believe in evolution and not creation. There is some truth to darwins theory, there are mutations that take place, best example that I can think of that we can quantitate.. wisdom teeth, appendix, vestigial tail.
Sure I believe there is evolution, you'd almost have to have it for most any of the really successful species to survive. I grow a garden, I see it often. There almost has to be a pool of acceptable and workable recessives (spare genes) or radical climactic change, disease and other things would have likely wiped us (and most everything else on the planet) out long ago.
I really don't accept Darwinism, as it is presented, as the answer to as why we are what we are. Random mutation as a probable cause, survival of the fittest, the main mechanism or process. Having a predetermined set of recessive genes (workable possiblities) on hand just seems like good engineering to me, not accidental.
A more telling question might be if there are all these mutations going on continuously, Why is mankind basically so homoginious? I'd expect much more difference, in say an Eskimo and me. The differences in mankind, to me, appear rather minor as a whole, considering the possibilities. If truly random mutation is the mechanism, I'd expect bigger differences, more radically different sub species of man.

Then you'd have to explain parallel evolution. What is the mechanism? Think two people on opposite sides of the world having a box of random parts. Shake them up throw them in the air and when they hit the ground (random) you get a pig. On the opposite side of the planet, somebody does the same and comes up with a Javelina (actually not a pig) or even a Tapir (a really big water Rat). It apparently isn't random, if it isn't random, where do the templates come from? I'm not buying the templates as being Darwinian, in my mind the math doesn't work out, again. Too many possibilities, not enough time for randomness to be a mathematicaly viable answer.
Think for a minute, you are just as likely to be born without skin as any other random mutation. What are the odds of a mutation as being benefitial and not fatal, without a plan.
IMO you are likely not a random product, with survival of the fittest as the primary quality control and Darwinism somehow supplied you with templates (spare genes) designed for success and not failure.
Like I said, it appears much more likely to be good engineering than random chance, using survival of the fittest as a secondary quality control. Sure survival of the fittest has to be a part of the proceesss, as does the ability to mutate. I'm just not buying it as the process, just part of the process, just another example of good engineering.

Last edited:
True, I never said Darwinism is the end all of be all, just that there are some truths. There are a number of factors that influence a cells ability to mutate, evolve and or significantly change; physical, biological, chemical, enviromental influences, etc.. while I am sure there have been leaps in bound in evolutionary studies in the past ten year, let along in the demise of ol' Darmwin so yes, some of what he stated may have been found to be inaccurate or incomplete, but it is a fairly well established representation of developemental changes over time.

Back on topic..

Southerners and their religion.

I bet you can meet quite a few hotties in a southern church.

I was a northern fool who moved down south to get preached almost every damb day ,till finaly they got a touch of my northern charm then they all backed off , then I got smart I moved west with my northern attitude and mouth to go with it never had a problem since they all just think Im nutzzzzzzzz!!!!!:crazy:and yes I love the make my day law no more door to door preachers :D:lol:

Back