Just bought a Jeep! Couple of questions...

loganfield

Hey guys...

I just bout a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic. It's got 78,000 miles on it. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any major problems or just quirks in general with this model. I have been driving it now for about 3 weeks, and I am really digging it. I have had a couple of problems (small ones) however. The fog lights are not working, and the horn went out a couple of days after I bought it (relay switch I think...). The gas gauge also has been a bit touchy. I also need to replace the hinge pin in the driver's side door. All small problems, but easily fixable I think...Anything else I should be worring about? Thanks for your help guys!

Loganfield[addsig]

hmm... from what i've seen, you just missed the fuel tank/pump flaws of the '97 models... so you're good there. as for the rest, it sounds pretty normal. fuel guages are never reliable in jeeps, anyone here can tell you that. if i'm at half a tank, and floor it for a while, the needle'll go down below E and the come back up. for the lights and such, check all your fuses...
[addsig]

HEYY 98, you probably have the new grill, right dingus? could you maybe measure your grill and count the mounting screws on it for me? i have a 96 cherokee with the older grille and wanted to swap to a newer one but wasnt sure if it would fit. thanks a lot![addsig]

Now you have a new hobbie. You have no choice. The hobbie comes with the ownership of jeep. The new hobbie is costly. Requires much time. It never gets boreing cause it changes all the time. You are required to ask read shearch and find clues and information all the time with the new hobbie that you have now. the new hobbie is costly but with the help of the few the proud the jeepz.com gang you will get by a ittle cheaper thanks to great information learned here. The new hobbie is jeep repair and up keep. never ending pain in the butt trouble shooting. How ever it is a fun hobbie that you will learn to enjoy. Good Luck as you break it fix it modi it break it and fix it again Tug :cool: [addsig]

Welcome to the club man...jeeps are awesome...need I say more?[addsig]

Hey guys...

I just bout a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic.

Congrats, we had a '98 XJ Classic, white, 'til the wife rolled it, hehe.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any major problems or just quirks in general with this model.

You may lose power to the guages, and the airbag light will come on. Good whack to the top of the dash should bring it back. Permanent fix is to redo the Bus connector between the wiring harness and the guage cluster.

The fog lights are not working

Get a replacement switch from the dealer, it comes with a new section of harness on the switch that keeps the switch from blowing all the time.[addsig]

Thanks guys for the help! Only 36 more short payments to go!!! WOO HOO!!![addsig]

Back