Snow driving.

jackflack44

Hey guys, I live in Flower Mound, TX, right outside of DFW. This winter will be the first that I've had my license, and the first that I've had my jeep. We have snow in the forecast, and while it probably won't snow at all, I was wondering. Should I use 4 wheel drive on the streets? And any other tips for snowy driving would be appreciated, cause if it does, I want to go play in the snow!

Some advice from me. Is take the time to learn your jeep. Keep your distance from other traffic. Tires are everything. Deep snow mud tires work great. Slippery streets mud tires suck i run dedicated winter tires most of the winter. Nice thing about snow is if you get stuck you can usually back out. Just have fun. Be safe. And take your time. As for 4x4. You can run it on the streets as long as they are not completely dry.

Attachments

• image-2738573702.jpg
    image-2738573702.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 182
Its all in the rubber compound. And traed design. Summer. Usually hard rubber to deal with heat and hot pavement. At is similar but slightly more aggressive. Winters use a soft compound that stay soft at sub zero temps. They have lots of siping to bite to ice and large voids to get rid of thick snow.

jackflack44 said:
Hey guys, I live in Flower Mound, TX, right outside of DFW. This winter will be the first that I've had my license, and the first that I've had my jeep. We have snow in the forecast, and while it probably won't snow at all, I was wondering. Should I use 4 wheel drive on the streets? And any other tips for snowy driving would be appreciated, cause if it does, I want to go play in the snow!

jackflack44 said:
What's the difference between summer, AT, and winter tires?

I'm 20 mi east of dallas and we have about
3" now so maybe you'll get to play a little

Attachments

• image-1690699640.jpg
    image-1690699640.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 267

Just remember that 4 wheel drive alone will not help you stop any better on slick road surfaces...and if you don't know what you're doing in snow and ice you can still get stuck...even in a 4x4.

I like to find a deserted parking lot when it snows and just run in 4 wheel drive doing as many hard turns, stopping and accelerating moves as needed to get a feel for the Jeep and sharpen my skills in those conditions.

Since we don't get that much snow and ice in Texas (except maybe in the Panhandle region) it is more a matter of watching out for the other guy(s) who think that they can drive like they do on dry pavement.

Larry

im up here in wisconsin 3 inches of snow aint nuttin we had a snow storm here about a month ago we got dumped on 24 ta 28 inches depending on where u live here in the state it was a blast to go play in the jeep did pretty good i even pulled the local law out of the ditch and then he turns around and gave me a ticket for loud exshust go figure eh

That's crap... we have a local shop that's some land behind it in the middle of town and they always cone harass us for loud exhaust... the owner go a dui driving his buggy back there... its private property and he has some holes and stuff

I'm sure that same a hole will end up back in the ditch and I would flip him the bird and keep on goin... but your probably nicer than I am

Since we don't get that much snow and ice in Texas (except maybe in the Panhandle region) it is more a matter of watching out for the other guy(s) who think that they can drive like they do on dry pavement.

Larry

we got our once in a hundred years snow a few years ago so we don't have to worry anymore about it, ha ha ha

Back