opinion on 51,cj5

Gennybro

considering purchaseing a 1951 cj5,I wanted to get a little feed back from anyone that has operated one of these,and what might be a fair price to pay for it.Guy I work with told me he had one and that he has taken it darn near anywhere he wanted to go with it. Had been considering upgradeing my yj with lockers.but the thoughts of broken axles has given me second thoughts about it. Thinking that I might be better of money wise getting this cj5 for raising hell on the trails,instead of investing money in my yj, Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks

considering purchaseing a 1951 cj5,I wanted to get a little feed back from anyone that has operated one of these,and what might be a fair price to pay for it.Guy I work with told me he had one and that he has taken it darn near anywhere he wanted to go with it. Had been considering upgradeing my yj with lockers.but the thoughts of broken axles has given me second thoughts about it. Thinking that I might be better of money wise getting this cj5 for raising hell on the trails,instead of investing money in my yj, Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks

I would get it because it is RARE, especially since CJ5's went into production some three years AFTER that one was produced in 1954-1983 no kidding dude, He's either yanking your chain or somewhere one of you have your wires crossed. The CJ5 was intended to replace the 3B like mine but the 3B's went on and on and wouldn't die. the 54 Willys CJ5 had very much the same drive train as mine. Hope you're just mistaken bout the year, and he's not trying to yank your chain.

No ,I don't think hes yanking my chain,I've only known him 2 weeks now.But he works in the maintenance department of this plant that I just got hired on to as a maintenance mechanic,hes more or less a lead man,he strikes me as being a pretty good person.
I havent seen the jeep, he just told me a little about it,said that when ya put it in 4 wheel drive,all the tires grip. A couple of days later I asked him if he would be interested in selling it,his response was that he might. So I'm just playing with the idea of trying to buy it,but I want to get a little info about that year jeep before I decide if I want to pursue the matter.

It's probably a CJ 3a which is zackly like mine 'ceptin one's different. 3a's have a LOW hood and the older motor, Lhead 134cid (flat head) It could possibly be an early M38A1 which LOOKS like a CJ5. I believe a few were built late 51 but was a 52 actually. The VIN plates on these old Willys' are screwed on the firewall, watch out it wasn't switched by someone.

It's probably a CJ 3a which is zackly like mine 'ceptin one's different. 3a's have a LOW hood and the older motor, Lhead 134cid (flat head) It could possibly be an early M38A1 which LOOKS like a CJ5. I believe a few were built late 51 but was a 52 actually. The VIN plates on these old Willys' are screwed on the firewall, watch out it wasn't switched by someone.
thanks for the info,dont know if I'm gonna mess with it or sink dollars into the yj to get lockers on the rear.thanks again.

Back