Why did this last so long?

HiHood

Why do you think these things have lasted so long/ The first CJ's were sold over 65 yrs ago. The Hummer was hurting soon after it went into civilian production. WHy would this one last and others not. The CJ-2A came on the post war seen and began a heritage that can be traced straight down to today's JK Wrangler with small graduale updates along the way but no MAJOR breakout knock down new designs. Check out the vids below

YouTube - KaiserWillysJeep's Channel

You shouldn't even ponder on this...back 65 years ago, folks actually took pride in the work they did. There wasn't quality control like the three checkpoints today. Today, the parts made are for a check. 65 years ago vehicles were made to last, repair with ease, and rebuild. Compare a Vietnam Army Jeep to a 2011 JK. Awe is simplicity. Although, amenities are extremely pleasing with today's vehicles.

You shouldn't even ponder on this...back 65 years ago, folks actually took pride in the work they did. There wasn't quality control like the three checkpoints today. Today, the parts made are for a check. 65 years ago vehicles were made to last, repair with ease, and rebuild. Compare a Vietnam Army Jeep to a 2011 JK. Awe is simplicity. Although, amenities are extremely pleasing with today's vehicles.
Well said!

its a war legacy... the Model T & VW Bug did the same thing.

back then, if it was worth doing at all, it was worth doing well.
value for the money.

today, they want to sell a new sparklie every 7 years.
rapper bling

when the bottom falls out of society, where do your feet land?
"can do" or at the mercy of lies?

these lasted because it was simple truth with a proven track record of square deal.

a small correction needs to be addressed, Hummer and Hmmwv (humvee) are two different things. Hummer is GM, humvee is AM general. All civilian models are GM vehicles (sourced from am general and outfitted by gm, hense why they could be sold with SBC and 6.5L Turbo diesels) AM general is still producing vehicles just not the humvee. the original humvee was designed in the late 70's, first produced in 83 or 84... by 2011 standards, the technology is really old. even jeep abandons technology platforms that were 20 something years old for newer ones.

the demise of the civilian H1 and H2 are due to the global change to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles and the need for GM to not have a million brands and get out of bankrupcy.

Jeep has lasted so long, but you need to remember that it was bought and sold like a cheap mule. (cheap mules are bought and sold a lot, regularly)
jeep (not Jeep) was originally ford built, then willy's then overland willy's, then AMC, then Chrysler, then DC, then Chrysler, then Fiat. Even the jeep brand is drinking the koolaid, hense you have the patriot and the compass and IFS suspension etc..

It is my understanding that the original jeep was a BANTAM, not Ford, and the US army was afraid it (Bantam) was too small of a company to supply the demand. The cantract, for that reason was given to both Willys-Overland and Ford to build the military vehicle, (not yet named Jeep). Ford became instrumanetal in the manufacture of other vehicles during the war and Willys-Overland emerged after the war as the sole manufacturer of military and civilian Jeeps until bought by Kaiser in 1951 (may be wrong on yr) when it became Willys motor co. , later Kaiser-Willys, later Kaiser Jeep, American Motors Jeep, then Chrysler Jeep.

The Humvee was a joint venture of two companies, American Motors and General Motors= AM General. AM 's part was bought out by GM. The original military version used the GM 6.2L diesel motors. They went into civilian manufacture as a GM company with the 350 (5.7L) gas or Gm diesel as the Hummer H1.

The concept of the Jeep and the BASIC design is the same, albeit modernised and updated. And has been with us for over 60 yrs. But the Hummer could not weather the storms that Jeep has survived. My question, more or less is what do you think the differences were that caused Jeep to be sold like a cheap mule over and over to survive while Hummer took the dive like Edsel, Studebaker, Packard and the like?

I like how my 62 is twice as old as me and is running better then me as well. I need a checkup cj5 needs some oil, I'm more dependent on jeep then vice versa. (does that make sense) I'm just glad Singapore hires children at low wages to repro my parts!!! Way to go outsourcing!

The Jeep brand was sold over & over because it was usually the only division making money in a small company with money problems...eg:Willys...Kaiser...AMC were all in need of cash so they sold off the hot brand. Each new owner made some changes to update the product so the Jeep kept improving...

It is my understanding that the original jeep was a BANTAM, not Ford, and the US army was afraid it (Bantam) was too small of a company to supply the demand. The cantract, for that reason was given to both Willys-Overland and Ford to build the military vehicle, (not yet named Jeep). Ford became instrumanetal in the manufacture of other vehicles during the war and Willys-Overland emerged after the war as the sole manufacturer of military and civilian Jeeps until bought by Kaiser in 1951 (may be wrong on yr) when it became Willys motor co. , later Kaiser-Willys, later Kaiser Jeep, American Motors Jeep, then Chrysler Jeep.

The Humvee was a joint venture of two companies, American Motors and General Motors= AM General. AM 's part was bought out by GM. The original military version used the GM 6.2L diesel motors. They went into civilian manufacture as a GM company with the 350 (5.7L) gas or Gm diesel as the Hummer H1.

The concept of the Jeep and the BASIC design is the same, albeit modernised and updated. And has been with us for over 60 yrs. But the Hummer could not weather the storms that Jeep has survived. My question, more or less is what do you think the differences were that caused Jeep to be sold like a cheap mule over and over to survive while Hummer took the dive like Edsel, Studebaker, Packard and the like?

I do not claim to be a Jeep historian, so you may be correct, my understanding was that it was a bantam design, but was built by ford initially and ID as the gpw, hense why it is jeep and not Jeep.

I would need to research the AM general and GM a bit, I always thought that AM general was it's own company and not a joint venture, kinda makes sence though.

No one wanted to buy the Hummer lineup (heck, GM couldn't even unload Saab, olds, pontiac, or saturn), there is no global market for large gas consuming vehicles. domestic sales make up the majority of hummer sales, I do not have an exact figure, but I would venture to guess that 99% of Hummer sales were limited to North America.

Well you're sorta both right. Bantam was the original design, the Gov't went to bid, Willys and Ford stepped up and ... Well heres the clip:
-------
The Bantam was considered too high off the ground and under powered. The Willys Quad had a more powerful engine but was far too heavy. The Ford Pygmy had the best steering (though linkages were easily damaged) but its tractor engine had insufficient power.

The Government standardized the 3 different designs and let all 3 companys build, Ford had the highest production capabilities.

In a nut shell - After the war Fords better idea was nobody (as in civilians) wanted one of these war machines and dropped the line. Willys picked it up and the rest is the history we know.

search "bantam jeep" if you want to read more.......

I do not claim to be a Jeep historian, so you may be correct, my understanding was that it was a bantam design, but was built by ford initially and ID as the gpw, hense why it is jeep and not Jeep.

Ah ha ha, see how you are? I was exactly precisely right 'ceptin the parts you were right about.:lol:

That's how I understood the AM General thing was a seperate company but was started as a joint venture, owned by the two . . . and any part of that may be partially, or totally right/wrong. I do know the original Hummer H1 was no more than an overpriced Chevy with the 350 or 6.2L diesel. The military Humvee had the 6.2 diesel also. :shades:

Last edited:
Back