Insurance price difference--WHY?

volaredon

97 XJ and 97 TJ; both completely stock; same policy, same agent, coverage etc WHY does an XJ cost 50% more than a same year TJ?
We used to have an 01 XJ; the 97 is cheaper to insure by a whole $2/month. TJ=$34/mo; XJ; $51. TJ; principal driver--as listed on the policy (ME) has an avg of 1 ticket/yr (they know it too) no wrecks in over 12 yrs;

XJ principal driver; my wife; 1-ever moving ticket, 18 years ago and 1 fix-it 2 years ago (missing lic plate)
Both Jeeps; both 97s both 4.0 powered, both between 108-118K miles on the clock; both NP 231; TJ owned since 2000--- 01 XJ from '05-very end of 09, 97 XJ since; TJ green, 5 speed; XJ; 1st was white, this one's blue, both auto transmission. Dropped full coverage; the difference in cost remains the same (percentage wise)
my agent keeps him hawwing and won't get me an answer; the excuse used to be the difference in age; well now we have one of each model, OF THE SAME MODEL YEAR!!! What am I missing? Is this a State farm thing?

My 92 xj cost the same as my 09 f150 to insure due to high rate of theft.

I got one you will love. I just picked up a 2003 subaru outback wagon,got rid of a 1997 mazda protege and save about a dollar a month on insurance lol

oops I was wrong in teh OP; I am listed as principal on the kid's RC; my wife is actually rated as such on BOTH jeeps..... so they should be damneer equal to insure....

If you find a answer please let me know. I sold a 2000 Audi A4 (fully loaded luxury car) and bought a '97 cherokee and my insurance went up 10 bucks a month. My agent always said the price was high because the Audi is a luxury car. I haven't gotten a answer now with the Cherokee.

Channahon; you aint very far from me; Kankakee (actually Limestone twp) and I go to school at JJC. just started there this past week.

Almost as bad as my EX-agent. I wanted auto pay from my bank account and she said "Sure, no problem" filled out a bunch of papers and next month it didn't come out, went in and paid to her directly. Got a nasty snot letter from insurance about being late. I called her and chew on her ear awhile, and "no problem, it's ok now, all taken care of" and VERY next month AGAIN. So I stormed in her office and quit the suckers, went to a completely different company, and saved a bunch of money in the process. Used to be better with an agent, now they don't care if you come back or not so I don't go back. Ended a 9 yr overpriced policy that could have been gotten years earlier for almost half the price.

cherokees used to have a very very high theft rate. maybe they never adjusted that fact on the insurance rating? all the wannabee gangsters used to steal the cherokees because they had four doors and were very fast and nimble for an suv. that was many moons ago though

Although I am not an agent with all the money they recieve on my policies I should take up stock!
The costs as I have been told is cost of replacement parts,labor totals to repair and logistics.
I live in So Calif and 4x4 of any type are high theft and generally wind up in Mexico.
Also I can not insure my 95 Trans am for the same cost as a 95 Firebird.There are many differences in components that dictate insurance

I traded an 88 Cherokee for a 79 CJ-5, it went down $50 a year for liability. Would have thought for sure it'd be higher on the CJ-5.

we're talking more than $50/year or $10/month between these 2; almost $20/month; and that's after I dropped collision on both.......

Back