Advice

elevatorman

Ok ,I have a friend with a 1990 yj 4.2 I6 hard top 2" lift auto,a/c nice blaupunkt stereo,nice interior everything works etc.. 96000 miles in good shape with no rust or damage.Ran like crap until today,I attempted a "nutter bypass" and then found a carb adjusting screw completely buried so I readjusted everything and it runs great!!!
I have a 95 2.5 4 banger,fuel injected auto with air in great shape with new soft top,new carpet same lift smitty bars,140,000 miles etc.. and he would like to trade beacause of his past problems and he wants a soft top.My jeep has never given me a problem in 5 years of ownership but I want a hard top to better secure my expensive fli fishing gear when out.
I told him I want to swap tires and rims(mine are 1 year old) keep all my bumpers and side tubes(bumpers for motorhome hitch etc... and my amp and 12 inch woofer boom box.
I think I could do ok with this trade or am I making a mistake swapping my fuel injection for a carb problem???? I dont need something to wrench on.

Well my thought is,I could eventually think of doing a FI conversion when needed on the new jeep,have a larger engine with full doors and a hard top w/alarm
I tend to roll with about $3000.00 worth of gear when fishing.I further would add a Black paint scheme(currently blue) to go with the grey interior and would also match my motorhome when being towed.

My 95 is great but lacks power with the Auto trans not to mention turning on the A/c.I have had lots of fun with the top down etc..,I may miss that

I wouldn't swap fuel injection for the Carter carb - they are a pain to keep running. You'll have more problems in the future with that carb.

It sounds like you are happy with your Jeep currently, and just want a hard top, so I'd just buy a top, you'll probably end up putting more than the cost of a hard top into that carb. A CJ or YJ hardtop should work fine on your Jeep, something like this:
Jeep CJ7 Wrangler Hard Top | Orange Co. Classifieds
or
87 95 factory YJ JEEP Wrangler | Los Angeles Classifieds

I wouldn't swap fuel injection for the Carter carb - they are a pain to keep running. You'll have more problems in the future with that carb.

It sounds like you are happy with your Jeep currently, and just want a hard top, so I'd just buy a top, you'll probably end up putting more than the cost of a hard top into that carb. A CJ or YJ hardtop should work fine on your Jeep, something like this:
Jeep CJ7 Wrangler Hard Top | Orange Co. Classifieds
or
87 95 factory YJ JEEP Wrangler | Los Angeles Classifieds

X2 Keep the 4 popper with the FI. I don't care for carbs period, most of them flood out climbing or descending.

Ok you just about have me convinced. I do love my jeep. New to not to mention Full doors that will be needed and possible paint--? 3000.00 ????
How about TBI system on the 4.2 ??? which is better??
Maybe all together hard top 4.0 stock no BS ????

Back