jeep vs. bronco

tjlboise

Kind of a funny story...
I've only had my jeep for about a month or so, and besides a little bit of a susp. Boost and beefier axles driveline and u joints and a few other cosmetics, its basically stock. Its my first one and I have been waiting for one for a very long time, so needless to say I've really been itching to get out there and test her out. I have a major lack of people to go with so I figured hey, why not just go and do some stuff that's not too intense...just to get a feel. So after a little exploring I come across glory at its finest. Just off to the side of the road is a play ground. Mudpits, inclines, rocks, everything you could possibly want for a test run. It was meant to be. Soooo...being completely alone, im being cautious: testing the depths with stick's and whatnot but still having a good time because she is performing beautifully, when all of the sudden I see an old early 70s bronco entering the area. This thing is completely decked out. Super swamper's and all. Im at the top of mud mountain looking down and im not sure if he sees me yet or not, so I just back up a little bit and watch for a sec. I can tell this is a high school kid and his buddy and after watching for a bit, I can see that he has no remorse for his machine. Just going full boar through everything. Finally, he gets up to where I am and there is this moment where we lock eyes and we just know... we are gonna see who's is better. Now mind you,this is my first time out with my baby, and I've only been at it for maybe 30 minutes or so, but there's the male inside of me screaming to prove myself to this kid and the beauty that he most likely got for christmas or something. So I do it. I can't help it. No way am I backing down... I HAVE A JEEP!!! We go back and forth a bit keeping up with each other pretty well until it comes to the rocks and beyond. I let him go first and he gets about 15 feet into it and its over. He's going to fast and almost rolls the thing. He reverses somehow corrects it and makes it through. Scarily at best. Then it my turn. I just smile and go. She was a champ. She crawled over those rocks like she was made for it. Hungry for the challenge. When I get to the other side I can see the kid shaking his head and smiling. He knows. And he thinks he's got me at the next obstacle. Mud mountain. Pretty decent long incline with really thick and sticky mud. He smiles nods and points at it. He really thinks he's got me here with his big ol tires. So he rev's it up and goes. He gets about halfway up and starts to spin the tires and slides back to the bottom. Then he backs up a bit, and takes a running start. This time he made it. Still had a little trouble, but he made it. Now its my turn. Am I nervous? Nope. This was one of the things I had a whack at before he showed up. I already know I can do this without any problems. But that's not enough for me. I have to show this guy what jeeps are really made of. I have to beat him with no possibility of argument. So what do I do? I turn around. In my mirror I can see them both laughing. They think im chickening out and they showed me who's boss....WRONG! I put my baby in reverse and backed up that hill! No running start. No speed whatsoever. I crawled up mud mountain in reverse without sliding once!! Pure triumph. You should have seen those jaws drop. It was priceless. I back up all th way next to him unzip my window and the only words that were spoken between the two of us through the whole ordeal were from him: "wow man. Im getting a jeep." I just smiled at him and nodded. That was a great feeling. What a great maiden voyage. So good...that I felt like I needed to share it with my fellow jeepers. Be proud. You all have the best there is to offer. Even if its stock. 8)

Thanks. I thought so too. It was almost as exciting writing it down, as it was when it was really happening.8)

Thanks for that, put a smile on my dial.

ha ha ha, that is hilarious. backed up the mountain, ha ha ha

superj said:
ha ha ha, that is hilarious. backed up the mountain, ha ha ha

True story...it was awesome to see those guys faces...but I can't tell if you're laughing with me, or at me. For my sensitive egos sake, im gonna go with with me :)

That's what I figured. This place isn't really a "make fun of people" type of forum, but you never know. Backing up the hill was really the only way I could think of to just end the debate right then and there. Worked like a charm. I will never forget that day. It'll be a good story for the kids and grandkids when their all driving around in jeeps :)

that's what i figured. This place isn't really a "make fun of people" type of forum, but you never know. Backing up the hill was really the only way i could think of to just end the debate right then and there. Worked like a charm. I will never forget that day. It'll be a good story for the kids and grandkids when their all driving around in jeeps :)

right on !:d love when you can leave em with their jaws open !!!

Superb story. And good first test. I love it.

I did this same thing at Dragon's Lip at Moab about 14 years ago in VEX during Easter week and the big run there.

Everyone was there with their crawlers, huge 40x19" swampers, big 350s blown, runnin', racing and bouncin' spinnin' crawling then stopping and giving up. Really fun but so lame.

So, I'm there with VEX and my pizza cutters tires, 9.50x33s and put my chains on front and rear and with the ARBs. I just walked up it. Everyone was awed after flaming me pretty good as a newbie, silly little VEX, etc etc etc., beforehand when we were all down in the staging area.

I tried to explain how it was done as everyone was either quiet, or amazed or asking all sorts of questions. I explained the rules of our Jeeps and 4x4 dynamics: Factor of Adhesion, Factor of Cohesion. NASA-Speak for the fact the 3 tons of VEX on a 9" footprint of tire, with chains on that porous "slick rock" which is like velcro really, was like running a tracked vehicle up there with ice growsers. It was a cinch. Or rather: 100% traction, 100% grip, 100% translated torque to forward motion. Simple. The huge wide tires, the open lugs of swampers, the floppy springy suspensions with 8' of wheel travel, and yea, the rigs will not go. Period. I abandoned wide tires for that reason 40 years ago, after Jeepin' for a few years.

They didn't understand how it could be done and no wheel spin and no effort. I explained above again. I went back down and then backed VEX up like our OP did. They were even more baffled and confused.

Oh well. I tried to explain the method of my madness for never running wide tires, EVER!!!!!!!!!!! They didn't get it.

It was fun though.

Again, TJ, great tale and welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps. And, a Bronco--->Jeep convert as well! Good!

Robert

Last edited:

That is an awesome story. Just proves you cannot beat a Jeep.

Back