i have a really really stubborn u joint. help!!!!

tjlboise

Does anybody know of a good way to get an old u joint out of the drive shaft? I've tried the ol two sockets and a vice method, and I've tried beating on the u joint with the shaft in the vice, and it is just really really stuck in there. I even tried soaking it in penetrating PB overnight. I can't even get it to budge a micro millimeter. Im about ready to take it into a shop and have them deal with it, but I don't want to let the stupid thing get the better of me. This is very frustrating. I hate seeing her up on jackstands, with no possibility of parole. Help!!!!

I place the yoke ears on the vise jaws and get my big hammer and hit the opposite yoke. Don't hit the shaft it will dent. If it is the diff end with just a u joint you can put the u joint cross on the jaws and hit the yoke on the driveshaft. If I'm confusing you I can take a pic tommorow at work

Jester32 said:
I place the yoke ears on the vise jaws and get my big hammer and hit the opposite yoke. Don't hit the shaft it will dent. If it is the diff end with just a u joint you can put the u joint cross on the jaws and hit the yoke on the driveshaft. If I'm confusing you I can take a pic tommorow at work

YOU are the man. But yes...it is a little confusing. A pic would help big time. And yes it is the diff end with just the u joint. I haven't even gotten started on the end that came out of the Transmission side yet, so help with that part would be extremely helpful too. Its so* %#$% and$ %#+* frustrating that something so little like this can make me feel so defeated. Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it big time.

Hold the shaft supported in the vise as shown and x marks the spot you wanna hit.

Attachments

• image-1665737532.jpg
    image-1665737532.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3862659103.jpg
    image-3862659103.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 142
Jester32 said:
Dont forget the clips lol I was just using a good shaft for demo lol.

Haha..yeah. that would be funny if I didn't take the clips out. Lol! Im just beating on it thinking to my self "wonder why its not working?"... im sure there are people that would do that, luckily im not one of em... what about heating it up like was said previously? I've done that with race bearings before, but it seems like something like this, would make it prone to bend or be brittle while you were pounding on it.
Also...will this same method that you have pictured basically work for the other side too where there are two yokes involved?

I just re read your previous explanation about the yoke ears, and beating on the opposite yoke....it makes sense now. I think I got this. Thanks so much for your help...now I gotta just get work over with so I can get home to the stuff that really matters.

Ok sounds good. You can heat around the cap if needed. I've never had to. I just grab my bigger hammer lol.

Yeah.. that's kind of the frame of mind that im in too. I think if it comes down to having to heat it up to get it out, I may have bigger problems. Ill let you know how it goes.

Last resort: shop press. That will get it out. :D Might explode(I speak from experience) so be prepared.

Jesse said:
Last resort: shop press. That will get it out. :D Might explode(I speak from experience) so be prepared.

Yup... that's kind of the effect I was going for with the bench vice and two sockets thing. I don't have a shop press, otherwise I would have tossed it in there already. Though...I usually use times like these to talk the wife into letting me get new tools :D.... I just say something like, "well, it would be real easy to fix if I had a: (insert new tool here)" lol...it works pretty well most of the time. I may be getting a new shop press in the very near future ;)

Niice. I don't have one yet, either. I don't even have a bench vice. I just go to the school where I took auto tech, and use their tools. There are advantages to being a good student. :D

A ball joint press might help, if not a 4.5" angle grinder cutter wheel can make quick work of it :)

Believe me... I thoughtblong and hard about the grinder :D... she's up and running thanks for everybody's input.

Tjlboise check your PM's when you get a chance, and congrats on getting the jeep up and running again.

Back