Mingez is looking for another to build...

mingez

Hey guys...been jeepless for 2 years or so, and I'm looking to do it again. :roll: :twisted:

Need opinions...

I've had an XJ and a TJ.

I'm open to getting those again...would need to be a daily driver. I don't want to finance anything, so...

Things to consider, I've now got 2 future step sons in my life, so I'll need to haul those donkey arounds...and after the wedding we'll be having one of our own.

So, I'm looking to do some light trailing, but I think I'll be building more of a expedition type vehicle that can handle some light trailing. Not a rock crawler or a mudder. I have to say I'm partial to the xj....but I'm not sure that it's necessarily the best choice.

ZJ's and Grand Cherokees, I've got little exposure to those, so if any of you know some of the barriers to building up Grand Cherokees.

And then, there's always the non-jeep route (Not going to be popular here due to it being a jeep board) But I was considering an Early Bronco, a Land Cruiser FJ80, or an xterra. (remember expedition style 4wd).

All opinions and info helpful!

It's been a while guys, nice to see you all again.

Whats Up Dude.

New Rig.. Honestly depends on what you want to do with it.. If an Expo rig is what your after, Jeep does not really have much to offer. I would tend to stick with the XJ or ZJ platform, but usable storage is going to be a premium especially when you consider 4 people and their supplies (like a Baby Swing, Congrats!)

I know this is going to **** a lot of people here off, but here are my suggestions

mid 90's land cruiser or lexus equavilant
87-91 suburban
94-97 Dodge with 12 valve cummins extended cab pickup with a cap on the back

I prefer the solid front axle vehicles, if you good with IFS or want to convert, 95-06 tahoe's or suburbans or any 95-on chevy truck.

When considering an Expo Rig, capability is not the priority, accessability to parts, reliability, and cargo space.
We built a expo rig last year to be use this year to get to KOH and then gonna hit colorado on the way back and we used a 86 E350 ford van with a straight 6. converted it to 4wd with a D60 and a Divorced ford case. came out pretty slick.

And then, there's always the non-jeep route (Not going to be popular here due to it being a jeep board) But I was considering an Early Bronco, a Land Cruiser FJ80, or an xterra. (remember expedition style 4wd).
Heathen!
First you need to turn in your super secret jeep ring( really broncos, land cruizer and recycled Datsun's!?!). Only true believers can own such a ring. You disappoint me my friend, I thought you a true believer.

With that said I would suggest the xterra for the needed room. With three little ones , with one in diapers..(oh and bag and tag those dirty diapers don't leave them on the trail you heathen) you need the extra room to carry everything to keep little ones happy in the back seat.

Or just break out those grants your hiding and go for a 4 door. All the room you need with a growing family and its a JEEP!

P.S. Long time no see nice to see your still alive and doing well. And congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

Welcome back.

I'd like to say go with a TJ, but with 4 people already and the thought of a 5th, that may not be the way to go.

On a similar note, I saw a nice looking 74 Bronco for sale on the side of the road last weekend. It had a 302 and an auto transmission. They were asking $15,900 for it... I didn't know they were that pricey.

id stay with a jeep get a 4 door and if need be add a rear cargo carrior the ones that go on a receiver hitch and congrates on the littleone

Heathen!
First you need to turn in your super secret jeep ring( really broncos, land cruizer and recycled Datsun's!?!). Only true believers can own such a ring. You disappoint me my friend, I thought you a true believer.

With that said I would suggest the xterra for the needed room. With three little ones , with one in diapers..(oh and bag and tag those dirty diapers don't leave them on the trail you heathen) you need the extra room to carry everything to keep little ones happy in the back seat.

Or just break out those grants your hiding and go for a 4 door. All the room you need with a growing family and its a JEEP!

P.S. Long time no see nice to see your still alive and doing well. And congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

Well, to be honest, my first love for 4wd were my 73 and 69 broncos. They were awesome. 302 dana 44's front and back, covertable...so very capable. The problem with them now is that they're hard to come by in good condition, and when they are, they're expensive..very.

I'm leaning toward another xj. or a cherokee....

I just absolutely loved my XJ. Talk about a capable vehicle...and there's lot's of stuff out there for them.

What about the new Grand Cherokees..the generation that JUST got DC'd?

I know this is going to **** a lot of people here off, but here are my suggestions

mid 90's land cruiser or lexus equavilant

Land cruisers average about 300k average life span... many go well past that. Issue is, they can be spendy...and the learning curve is daunting to me. But they are very capable and reliable rigs!

I went to the yota forums and ih8mud.com and it seems like there's a lot of info out there tho.

Not to hijack my own thread, but here's what I really want:

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 131_1004_05+moab_easter_jeep_safari+mopar_jeep_nukizer_m715.jpg
    131_1004_05+moab_easter_jeep_safari+mopar_jeep_nukizer_m715.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 2,503
Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack my own thread, but here's what I really want:

Good to see you back!

Yeah, I'd love one of those too.

Did you finally give up on marrying Jessica Alba? I guess with the restraining order you didn't have much choice. :lol:

southtj said:
Good to see you back!

Yeah, I'd love one of those too.

Did you finally give up on marrying Jessica Alba? I guess with the restraining order you didn't have much choice. :lol:

Yeah, I've got my own personal Kim kardashian... So I'm beyond the whole alba thing!!!

Funny, last time I was active on jeeps Kim k was barely a celeb! Been a while. And now a JEEPZ iPhone app in the app store? Crazy!!!

Last edited:
Back