bushing kit or what?

tjlboise

So the wife and I went for a long scenic drive in the jeep over the weekend, and I knew that we wouldn't be able to go racing down the freeway in my 2.5, but what I wasn't prepared for was that when we were at a high speed, every time we hit a bump or took the wind from a semi, it felt like I had very little control of the steering. It was pretty scary. I mean at times, it felt like we were gonna roll. She just looked at me all wide eyed, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders. I need to get this fixed, or not only will she never go with me again, but she will most likely condemn me from going anywhere either. I've read in other posts that similar problems have been fixed with replacing the susp. System bushings. Is this the route to go, or do I have other problems going on? Please help, or she'll take my baby away.

Check your steering components for anything loose or warn...get under it & have a buddy crank the wheel back & forth...see if there is play & if so from where.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Use the search function on this forum for 'death wobble'.

It doesn't really shake or vibrate at all. Also the alignment was just recently done on it, so I don't believe there's an issue there. I will, however, go home and follow the procedures for checking the bushings for the steering, and control arms etc, that were associated with the "death wobble" post and what I can find. Thanks for the help.

OK I misunderstood what you meant by taking a bump and losing control of the steering. I should have known it likely wasn't DW when you posted it was a YJ.

You should make sure the front swaybar is in good working order as well as the front track bar. Then watch all the steering components for slop while somebody else turns the steering wheel back and forth.

Okay, well.... the good news is: the track bar and sway bars themselves are in good working order, the bad news? the bushings are not. Ive ordered a kit. I'm just going to replace the whole lot. Might as well while I'm at it. Thanks so much for your help. I always know that when the bounty hunter chimes in, there will be answers, and *#%@ will get done.:D

Back