tailor made or make my own?

tjlboise

Alright guys. I need some input here, from people that know what they are talking about. I can always count on Jeepz for that. People keep telling me that I need a store bought winch plate. They say that if I try to make my own, it wont work out as well. I disagree completely. Im not sure if im sick in the head or not, but I just can't see spending 100-300 bucks for a piece of metal with holes in it when I can just go to a scrapyard, and drill my own. I mean, as long as its 1/8 to 1/4" thick and I mount it to both the bumper and the frame it'll be fine right? That's all that a "real" winch plate would do isn't it? I was hoping to get some input on measurements of any kind of raise I should have, or what exactly I should bolt it to, and the best way to mount the fairlead. I've had my winch for a bit now, and im itching to get it on there. Thanks so much in advance. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

I have seen new winch plates go for $40 on ebay, and as low as $60 retail. So for that kind of money it just isn't worth the time to make my own. If you do make your own 1/4" is the minimum NOT 1/8". You want it to bolt to both frame rails not the bumper. The stock Jeep bumper isn't designed or capable of much pulling force. Other than that you are right there isn't much to making a winch mount plate.

I've been checking ebay, and amazon, and any other parts site that I can find just about 4 or 5 times every day, and the lowest price I can come across (that isn't for an ATV) is $90. Thanks for the input. So are you saying that I shouldn't bolt it to the bumper at all? I wasn't planning on having that be the only place it would be bolted down. I was thinking I would just make a plate that covers the entire area in front of the grill with bended tabs on each end to come down and bolt onto the sides of the frame as well. 6 to 8 bolts total.

If you bolt 1/4" plate to the bumper it will only serve to support the bumper, not the bumper supporting the plate. The winch plate will be much stronger than a sock bumper. On ebay do not look at plates being sold by companies, look at private sale listings.

I've been checking ebay, and amazon, and any other parts site that I can find just about 4 or 5 times every day, and the lowest price I can come across (that isn't for an ATV) is $90.

Not to be mean but I call B.S. on this. I just took 10 seconds and the 6th item that showed up in an ebay search for "winch mount plate" is buy it now $60 with free shipping and that is from a store not private sale.

Ggg said:
Not to be mean but I call B.S. on this. I just took 10 seconds and the 6th item that showed up in an ebay search for "winch mount plate" is buy it now $60 with free shipping and that is from a store not private sale.

Lol...yeah, I just did the same thing and saw the same. Thanks again for your input

I always weigh my time versus cost.
Remember that winch will only be as strong as the weakest link.1/4 inch -3/8 steel plate at a minimum
Use hardened bolts etc.. Standard hardware store junk is just that and will stretch and fail for a few pennies in savings

I agree with jps4jeep,buy the time ya run around and locate the material to make it out of,do the work drilling the holes etc,your just as far ahead buying the damn thing as compared to makeing it.bolt it to the frame,not the bumper. Use grade 8 bolts,there is a stronger bolt made but havent got the info on hand,I think its listed as a[ Ls something]

Alright cool. Thanks everybody. I think im far better off just getting one of those sweet looking jpwillys customs bumpers and buying a winch plate to bolt it to =D happy jeepin'!

Back