My Jeep's losing weight! (Jeep actual weight question)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
For my Droid to accurately figure my HP and torque, I need to know my Jeep's weight, so I went down to the dump and popped up on the scales. The scale fluctuated pretty wildly, but seemed to settle down to 4040 lbs. I looked on my door jam, and my GVW should be 4450 lbs. I'm trying to figure out if the scale is correct or not.

My stated GVW is 4450
My gas tank was empty, so subtract 100 lbs
Add one driver at 175 lbs
Add rocksliders at 50 lbs
Add front bumper at 30 lbs
Add 33s at 49lbs each, maybe an extra 100 lbs

So I'm guessing my Jeep should weigh about 4705 lbs.

Does anyone know how the GVW is calculated? Does it matter if you have a hard or soft top? Is that they weight of my Jeep, or all Wranglers for that model year? Does 4040 seem like a reasonable weight for my Jeep?

It's going to be pretty much impossible to get an accurate hp/torque number that way. I got one of the original G-Tech performance meter (the one that sticks to the windsheild and looks like a radar detector). The problem is that for it to be accurate you have to know the exact weight of your car which unless you have a scale that is accurate is hard to get right (for example, you say you were pretty low on gas, but how low? A couple gallons of gas makes a difference). The second problem is the ones I have seen assume you are driving on a perfectly straight perfectly level stretch of road. Even the slightest incline one way or the other gives you a false reading (uphill would be false low, downhill would be false high).

i have the original g-tech also and had a hard time getting good numbers for hte same reason.

i put mine on a scale every time i go on base since the scale is on the way off base. your about 500lbs heavier then my basically stock yj with auto transmission and 6 cylinder motor.

virginia beach? do you have base access? if so, go onto fort eustis and use their scale so you can compare if hte other one is close to right

virginia beach? do you have base access? if so, go onto fort eustis and use their scale so you can compare if hte other one is close to right

I don't have base access, but I did go to the dump and use their scale. It just seems lower than it should be.

I may have to go on interstate and try a semi scale.

Local truck stops are a good source of accurate scales.

You're confusing GVWR with curb weight.

Gross vehicle weight rating is simply the maximum allowable weight of an entire vehicle when it's packed up and ready to go -- that includes the weight of the vehicle itself, all of the necessary fluids for operation (gasoline, diesel, oil and so on) and any cargo, passengers and tools.

Curb weight is simply how much the vehicle weighs on its own, without any cargo or passengers. This measurement includes a full tank of gas and any other fluids that keep a car running.

Just for clarity even though this has been said above.
Curb weight= weight of your vehicle including full tank of fuel, coolant, and oils without passengers or cargo.
GVW= Curb weight plus passengers and cargo. In your case #4040.
GVWR= The maximum GVW the mfg. says the vehicle is rate for.
In your case GVWR= #4450.
Just as a FYI tongue weight is considered cargo if there is a trailer being pulled.

Last edited:
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I was expecting my curb weight to be GVWR + me + anything I've bolted on.

GVW is the number they use to give you a ticket for maxed out overloaded.
curb weight is what you got
fighting weight is what you're after in power to weight
cellulite is what you bolt on

scales at the bone yard are not regulated. A truck stop is. The dump should be regulated too.

Back