Is this legal?

dustin g

So I just bought a 99 GC Laredo from a dealership. Traded my wife's Nissan. Dealer runs credit bla bla bla. All is good. We go home with new Jeep. Five days later they call and say they need the Jeep back because no bank will finance a vehicle that old. It only has 57000 miles on it and in immaculate condition. Wtf? All paperwork is signed and who knows where the car is. Can they F'ing do this?
Talk about a let down. This is the Jeep we have been searching for for three years. >:-(

I woulda thought they would have had the finance part done before you left in it. Might go get a free consult with lawyer.

i have heard of dealerships sending you home in "your new car" and then calling you later because you can't get financing. It is also bulls#it that they said banks won't finance a vehicle that old. As long as the vehicle is worth what you finance they usually don't care. I would consult a lawyer and see what you can do

This is one of those things you should talk to your lawyer about but if you made a deal and you bought the jeep they shouldn't do that

Anyone here a lawyer that can sound super intimidating on the phone? Lol

Make sure they do not charge you for the miles you put on for those 5 days because it will further depreciate the value of the Jeep. Happened to a friend of mine, the steeler**** called up with the same excuse then charged my friend for the miles they put on to the car.

Like everyone has been saying, get a free consultation from a lawyer and go from there. 57k on a Jeep is nothing.

Bacon

Which dealership did this?

And has anyone else had this happen if so where?

I am calling a semi-official jeepers strike meeting. Don't go there!

Are you able to find financing yourself? That seems like the best answer - just buy the Jeep outright with your own financing.

Has the paper work been finished. Did you sign the contract already? Did they Temp license the Jeep?

Get a lawyer.
Around here it is pretty much common knowledge a bank will not finance anything older than 7 years old. So if you need to finance a older car purchase then you have to buy from a used car dealer. The 57000 miles is a moot point to the bank, they do not assess extra value for low miles, only penalize for high mileage. Licensing the vehicle is also a moot point this does not constitute ownership or completion of a deal it is only a service they offer at a markup. Do not tell the dealer in frustration "come get it" because they will. If they press the issue to return the vehicle just tell them you are out of town.
With all the paperwork signed etc. I would think this is the dealers problem, you better read ALL of the fine print. With this sale being done in AZ who knows what screwy stuff can happen, a "sunset clause" or something may apply.
Get a lawyer.

Last edited:

They can't leave you un whole ,either they have to find you financing or give you your car back if they didn't sell it or give you a fair replacement car of same value and cond or a cash payoff of blue book value
or get them to get you financed for a new one but at dealer cost not after they tack on all the other crap
dung-1.gif

Upon further research it turns out they can do this. From what I have found this is very common with this dealer. They let you take the car so you get attached to it. Then call you back saying you gotta go back in cuz financing didn't go thru and fill out new contract for higher amount either down or total. Its called a "on the spot delivery scam" and they know from the get go weather or not you qualify but they let you take it anyway so you will be more willing to pay more.
In short it turns out this is common practice for Honda dealerships. So stay away from them unless you have cash in hand. Tempe Honda at Tempe autoplex is a huge no no and stay away. They also knew it had a bad alternator and didn't say anything.

I'd just give them back their Jeep and move on.

Any chance you'll get out of this without spending any cash?

Back