Roof top tents

ScubaDude

Hey all

So I have been doing a bunch if research on roof top tents because of the convenience of setting up camp in seconds. I have come to fall in love with tents offered by Auto Home but crave a tent with a sky light. I emailed the support dudes and they said that they don't do custom orders but it shouldn't be too hard to do it myself or have it done professionally to one of their hardtops but it voids their warranty. What should I do?

Just get a tent and deal with no star gazing?

Try the custom build?

Or keep looking?

Keep in mind the tent is like 3000 dollars so I have no intention of wasting it with pipe dreams.

Cut up a $3000 tent? I don't think I'd do that.

You could try buying 2 or 3 $50 tents and practice adding sky lights. If it really is easy than go for it. My guess is that your stitching would be the weakest part of the tent, and would really shorten it's life.

Yeah except their fiberglass so it's not stitching it's sawing and gluing.

I think if I were to I would take an electric saw and go in at an angle, then take the piece I cut out and have it be modeled by one of those big computer controlled saws at a private mill and line it up with an identical piece of clear finer glass and then just drop it in and use some of that rubber glue and attach it, but really I am only 16

Will be seventeen in 2 days!

And while I have tools and knowledge to use them, I am in no way skilled.

So I was planning on using a private mill for the whole thing but that is probably like another 1000 bucks out of my pocket.

So I don't know, maybe I should just deal with no star gazing but doesn't that sound nice, gazing at the stars from your tent as you fall asleep?

Yet another draw back is as soon as I take out even a small saw I void all warranty which is a pretty good warranty, like everything fixed and or replaced for free as long as I can prove it wasn't my fault.

Boohoo I be depressed!

And I font feel like spell checking this so sorry.

When you say rooftop, do you mean on the roof of your Jeep, or on the roof of your house?

I'm picturing this:

Attachments

• _thumb_jeepka3.jpg
    _thumb_jeepka3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 68,251
TerryMason said:
When you say rooftop, do you mean on the roof of your Jeep, or on the roof of your house?

I'm picturing this:

Now THAT is awesome! Where do I get one? Maybe a custom roof "container" that folds out and you just put a tent on it?
Ah more ideas..... I need more hours in a day.

I don't want the first because with it I mine as well just get a tent, I don't care if it's connected to my jeep or not the magiolina sets up on under 4 min, that's a fast campsite. The last one I don't like because it puts too much wait on the ladder, which is then poorly distributed onto the ground, plus it also takes some time to set up.

I can't help but notice my question was never answered. If I do get the tent I posted earlier, should I mod my sky light professionally, or by myself. Or just live with no skylight. Or just keep looking for the perfect tent.

It doesn't seem that difficult a task, to cut the fiberglass of the top, then insert some plexiglass. Having said that, I'd probably wait a while after buying the tent to cut it, you may find that it's not that big of a deal to lay out under the stars, then go into the tent when it's time to sleep.

TerryMason said:
It doesn't seem that difficult a task, to cut the fiberglass of the top, then insert some plexiglass. Having said that, I'd probably wait a while after buying the tent to cut it, you may find that it's not that big of a deal to lay out under the stars, then go into the tent when it's time to sleep.

Yeah good point, plus I may want to wait out the warranty.

The customer support people said that they have had allot of people do it themselves, so I could probably do it, but u have a point about waiting.

You think if so many people do it, they would have it as an option.

Large medium small
Insulated or not
Sky light or not

You know tack on another hundred bucks and there ya go.

its out of the price range i would spend on a tent so whether it came with a sky light or not is no issue. :)

i am accustomed to sleeping under a deuce and a half or 5 ton when i camp. i haven't been since those days

Back