removing stabilizer link bars---

tjlboise

So im replacing almost all of the steering components, and bushings, and I've run into a problem. When I try to loosen the castle nut for my link bars, the entire bolt spins. I see nothing to grip on the other side to try and get it to hold in place. I've tried vice grips, and c clamps with no luck. Does anybody have a solution for this? Thanks for any and all input on the matter.

I usually cut em off. I have no patience for rust lol. Fire axe is my best friend lol.

Its not rusty at all. The whole thing just turns inside the bushing. It also worries me that when I put the new ones in the same thing will happen, thus stopping me from being able to get the right torque adjustment. I gotta figure this out.

The new one shouldn't as the threads should be clean. Do what ya gotta do to get it off the new ones will go on ok.

I suppose I could go and track down some new ones that are similar. I just don't like the idea of jerry rigging my jeep with stuff that's not made for it. Especially when im trying to fix a problem and not create new ones. Then again....maybe im just being a big baby whiner.

Lol. I don't like that either. But as long as you find a bolt that's similar it shpuld be ok. But then again I made all my own control arms and sway bar links. Etc etc lol. So some may say it's Jerry rigged. Lol. But it works. And looks good. And so do all my parts I made. Lol. I hope all goes good. That's wierd how the new ones didn't come with.

i ran into a similar problem with the tie rod on my gc. the bolt that connects the steering damper to the tie rod is tapered and wedges itself in. it sucked having to pay for a new damper just for the bolt but i guess thats what you gotta do sometimes. i would look into seeing if you can just find a bolt from home depot or something that would work.

I thought it was weird too that they didn't come with new bolts. But I guess that quadratech for you. Im learning real quick that they aren't the most reliable company on earth. I ordered all these components over a month ago, I got the first half in a couple of days, and the second half was on back order until I finally got it on Thursday. As if that wasn't bad enough, the first half was black, and the rest was red. Grrrrr!!! Very disappointing. I guess the home depot thing is just how its gonna have to be. Poor jeep. She deserves better than this.

Okay...I resorted to cutting them off. Come to find out they are tapered bolts, which home depot does not carry. Will a little bit of play be a bad thing? I figure they're inside rubber bushings, so as long as they fit pretty tightly it should be okay, right?

Just had the same problem with mine few days ago, put a jack under the front bumper and jack up your suspension, that should put enough stress on the little ball joint to seat it enough to take the nut off. A BIG pry bar came in handy as well lol

tjlboise said:
Okay...I resorted to cutting them off. Come to find out they are tapered bolts, which home depot does not carry. Will a little bit of play be a bad thing? I figure they're inside rubber bushings, so as long as they fit pretty tightly it should be okay, right?

I would think a little bit of play would be alright as long as your not driving on rough roads or off roaring with them connected, mine are buggered and they have play in them, I disconnect them in town and trails, and connect them for high way driving.

This was done over a month ago, but just out of curiosity, what's the reason you wouldn't drive it off road like that? I disconnect them anyway, but I was just wondering...

There is a ton more articulation taking place when your offroad, which means they are moving around in all directions, they will wear out very quick, don't ask me how I learned this lesson lmao :)

Back