How young is too young to go offroading?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm itching to take my kid (now 19 months old) offroading, but I've held back just because I'm worried he's too young. I've seen kids in rear facing child seats on the trails before, but it's always made me cringe a bit as they get a bit of wheel hop going, or drop off an obstacle.

What do you guys think? What is a safe age to offroad?

I have a pic off me in a wash basin beside a river beside my dads landcruiser when I was a 2 lol.

I think as long as they are old enough to be able to control their balance/head, you should be alright for easy to mod trails, I'd probably wait to 3-4 for anything really crazy.

My 4 yr old step daughter enjoys good dirt roads and getting all bumpy, has since she was abt 2.5

A little parental "uncommon sense" is needed here.

If there is ANY chance of rough terrain or terrain that could reasonably be determined to be a rollover/accident hazard, then don't take the child.

Safety seats are not all that safe, especially in a rollover.

Now, all that said, the more time you spend with your child doing things like 4 wheeling, camping, hiking, and hunting, the greater chance you have in that child growing up to be a well adjusted, responsible citizen. You've got just 18 years to accomplish that, so don't start either too early and put the kid in unreasonable danger, or too late for them to benefit.

If you keep it safe and simple then go for it. Leave the Mrs & little one at a base / camp before doing any serious stuff.

On a drive in December when I had Wife / Daughter & Grand Daughter (3) in my Xterra on a family desert drive, I did a power slide on the sand. Heard the Wife & Daughter grimize but the sweetest was my a little voice from the back saying ......"again Gramps" followed by her laughter.

x2^ I think that you will know what is safe or not, Your more likely to have someone t bone you on the highway then on the trail, I think its safer in the woods myself. So just be responsible and have fun. My kid has been doing things like zipp lines, white water, 4 weelin, 2 weelen, ceince he was 4. First muddy jeep run at 2 I think.

I put my son in The Joop since he was old enough to hold his head up, if anything we would take him out if I needed to 'get in it' a little. Now, at 3, he's familiar with parts like the drive shaft, and ever time we stop he thinks we are stuck, haha. "Dadda stuck?"

I have been off-roading my whole life, my father started us off in the old family heep as soon as we were able to hold on to the seat belt...later on us kids stood holding on the roll bar with no seat belts, but times are diffrent.
Terry like you I wanted to take my grandson( yours being your son) as soon as I was able to pry him out of his mothers arms. I found a car seat for him at Tera-Flex'es store that had side to side head support and a true 5 point harness, I have since passed it on to others in my off-road group, but the idea is the same.
A quick look on the net and here it is
Kartek Off Road - Simpson Seats

I take my 3 year old son with me all the time, he loves to go bumpin (as he calls it)
and loves hill climbs....that said i always go ahead with out him to try the obsticals out before hand and if its hairy with just me in the jeep ill take him somewhere that i know i can manuver a bit easier. the biggest concern i have with it is trying to keep the safty gogles on him for stray branches
ya only got 2 eyes PROTECT them!

Last edited:
both of my kids went before they were one years old. they still go off roading anytime anyone of us goes. they love it. i have pics of htem standing in the back of my buddies 50 something jeep holding on to the roll bar going through the mud, like i did when i was a kid.

20100314153017-1.jpg

20100314152959-1.jpg

20100314152942-1.jpg

thats my old cherokee sitting in the middle, pre lift and paint

Last edited:
Back