Jeep vs bronco, the debate

flatie46

A friend of mine made the comment that broncos are cooler than Jeeps. He's a little biased, he's got a '74 bronco. I told him that was a pretty stupid thing to say. He should be thankfull for Jeeps. I didn't see any broncos in all that WWII footage on the history channel, oh yea they wern't invented yet. I also asked why didn't you ever see a mail bronco? I guess you couldn't depend on 'em rain,sleet an snow. Anyway we're good friends and this will be an on going debate between us. I thought maybe if I posted about it my fellow Jeep Cult buddys could help with some ideas in the debate. So if you got any ammo, lets hear it!

You should read my jeep vs. Bronco story. Ill comment on my own thread to bring it back up to the top for you.

As for personaly preference, to me the jeep wins, if I am looking for aftermarket support parts interchangability and parts availability, jeep still wins.

as for factory equipt vehicle, bronce wins, and for the sake of debate, I am strictly comparing the 66-77 bronco to open top jeeps (tj, yj, cj)

Motor- bronco wins for a very strong and reliable 302, open top jeep never came factory with anything larger than a 304, and was a fairly eneamic motor from day one.

Trans and T-case is a toss up, both had good and bad models.

Axles- Bronco, D44 front and 9" rear is better than anything jeep has ever produced in an open top jeep.

Suspension- Bronco, leafs rear and radius arms and coils up front. jeep finally got is when they introduced the TJ, but it did take 20 something years later.

off roadability- both vehicles are about the same size, older CJ2&3 and 5's are a little smaller, both have about the same clearences when both equip with same tire size.

i have both. jeep wins over all.both have good and bad points.that said,i love my tj better.i wheel the jeep and have a blast, i just hammer on the bronco cause i dont care about it lol...

I always kind of liked the looks of the older Broncos, but have never owned one.

There are so many Jeeps out there of all ages, and just not that many Broncos, it tells me that Jeep is the winner. Of course, I'm a tad bit biased.

That all said, I've noticed a restored Bronco at a local classic car consignment lot that I just might go look at today.:shades: It's sitting next to a few restored Toyota Land Cruisers.

I had a bronco 2 in high school, and there is no comparison with that to a jeep. I saw an old school bronco parked every time i went to my friends house and i wish i could have had that. i would want the old broncos just for the classic value that they have, not for off roading.

1st gen Bronco vs CJ? Apples and oranges. Not even in the same class. You can compare Ford Bronco to Chevy Blazer, Dodge Ramcharger/Plymouth Trailduster, International Scout and Jeep Cherokee of the same era.

CJ is a much lighter, open, purpose-built vehicle that was built for one thing only: Dominate the off-road scene as it's forefathers have since the begining of WWII.

Nobody likes the king of the hill. Everyone wants to knock them off. A couple of people have come close (old Toyota FJ and old Land Rovers) (and check out what they both look like)....but without a doubt, the first word that comes to mind to a majority of the people on this planet when off road capability is mentioned starts with a J.

Early Broncos deserve much respect. My cousin collects them and swears by them. I have been offroading in them and have been very impressed. But I would not expect one to follow a Jeep. If nothing else, for the places a Jeep will turn, fit and go without sinking.

Thats because Ford was one of the companys building the Willys / Jeeps :D
True... But. Ford said nobody would be interested in this thing for the civilian market. Didn't produce the bronco till '66. Even international beat ford to producing an SUV. Was it '62 first year for the scout? I started to add up how many Jeeps were built before the bronco but half way thru my calculator shorted out. I bet ford would have like to have the sales Jeep ran away with from '45 to '66.

Don't get me wrong, I like early broncos. I wouldn't mind having one but I do like the Jeep better. I like the tight turn radius. As far as engines go, mine has the 304. Seems like a pretty good engine, feels strong in my CJ-5 stock. The way I four wheel and at the level I can afford to play it's all I'll ever need. I've always been a fan of torque in a 4wd not HP. Any more of either and I'd be having to beef up things on down the driveline. I've often considered if I ever ran accross one of the early V-6's I might swap. They were never offered in my model ['79] but have often read how they were ideal in a Jeep. You might up the compression a little in one add a cam and headers with ignition and have a light torquey power plant that'd shame a V-8 in the dirty places.

You should read my jeep vs. Bronco story. Ill comment on my own thread to bring it back up to the top for you.
I read that story when you first posted it, loved it. Sounded it like an old dog teachin' a young pup the how it is.

Sweet story, good read. I love stories of other peoples adventures. :p As for the title.. I'm not sure there's any debate that jeeps are better. =]

I wouldn't mind having a old salt box bronco, but i wouldn't trade my 57" flattie for it. Broncos are cool, but if ya parked the two in a mall parking lot, the flattie would get more people to stop !!! It has more history, the world knows the willys/jeep. Park both any were in the world, i'd say 80% of the people would know the willys/jeep..

When you buy a jeep, you're automatically entered into an elite group of people. A comraderie(spelling???) If you will. Do bronco owners have a wave, and a knowing smile? I think not.

amm... first gen brono's were the same 1/4 ton class as jeeps CJ's of the same era. 78 (2nd gen) bronco was the first year that the bronco was classified as a 1/2 ton truck, then it would be in the same class as the K5 and trail dusters etc...

A little clearification
77 bronco has a ~60" track width and a 92" wheel base
same year CJ ~60" track width and a 93.5" wheel base
Both had a small block V8 option, both complete open tops and removable doors.

amm... first gen brono's were the same 1/4 ton class as jeeps CJ's of the same era. 78 (2nd gen) bronco was the first year that the bronco was classified as a 1/2 ton truck, then it would be in the same class as the K5 and trail dusters etc...

A little clearification
77 bronco has a ~60" track width and a 92" wheel base
same year CJ ~60" track width and a 93.5" wheel base
Both had a small block V8 option, both complete open tops and removable doors.
I was compairing my '79 CJ-5 to my buddys '74 bronco. My CJ-5 has an 83.5" wheelbase and I think stock 52" track. It's probably not apples to apples but it was the ****in contest I was in. Like I said I like those early broncos but I do feel my Jeep is better [ and cooler ]. That is an opinion, it's mine... feel free to make it yours.

tjlboise said:
When you buy a jeep, you're automatically entered into an elite group of people. A comraderie(spelling???) If you will. Do bronco owners have a wave, and a knowing smile? I think not.

I second that motion.

The statement that Jeeps and Broncos are not comparable is my opinion and I still feel that way. Maybe it's the Bronco's integrated fenders that makes it look like every other Blazer, Scout, Trailduster, etc. Broncos are over a foot longer than a CJ5 and have a few hundred pounds on them (from what I read, maybe I'm wrong).

Fact is, the Bronco always trailed the CJ in popularity and sales. Once the Blazer came out, it slipped even farther....then the ScoutII and Cherokee pushed it even further down until it was changed to look and be the size of everything else out there except for.........the Jeep CJ which kept rocking along on top without any MAJOR design changes. That speaks volumes.

Broncos, Blazers, Scouts, etc. all have a rabid following and respect must be given to each of those, especially the ones that are out on the trails getting dirty, not being shined in a driveway.

The main reason I say Jeeps are beyond comparison to ANYTHING else is the fact that they have been in production for 70 years and counting without a MAJOR design change. (by that I mean park a 1941 next to a 2011 and even a child can tell they are the same basic vehicle in appearance and layout). No other vehicle on the planet can claim that. The VW (real) Beetle is second with a 65 year run. Open top Jeeps have 5 years on that title and show NO signs of slowing down. A true testament to the uniqueness, ruggedness and popularity of our beloved freedom machine.

when did hte first jeeps come out? i didn;t know they came out before the original beetle of the early 20s. they still make the original beetle in mexico and you can get them fuel injected and with ac and a 2011 title.

JEEP WINS,but I think I would like to get a bronco or a hummer,just so I could paint tire tracks on the roof and hood,and maybe attach a small step ladder to the front bumper for ez access.

Back