Good to be here!

Turbogus

Recently I joined a radar detector forum and, after posting a few questions it became clear that that forum was full of childish trolls whom seemed to have nothing better to do than jump on new posts with personal remarks and so forth. I'm glad that this forum is more adult and friendly, my thanks to those whom monitor and keep this forum as it should be, and thanks to the friends I've made on here.

Personally, I don't think this forum really needs very much monitoring. Just a good bunch of people. We're just lucky that way.

Recently I joined a radar detector forum and, after posting a few questions it became clear that that forum was full of childish trolls whom seemed to have nothing better to do than jump on new posts with personal remarks and so forth. I'm glad that this forum is more adult and friendly, my thanks to those whom monitor and keep this forum as it should be, and thanks to the friends I've made on here.

Hey Turbo,

Wow, can I ditto that. I got flamed so bad at two other forums had to quit then litigate them. They flamed the minute I was there, over my job, my Jeep set up for export, and the way it is arranged for field work. Bunch a jerks. No moderation and just a bunch 'o kiddies, hand wringing and like so much of our culture now, insulting, and cloudless like everything else!

I had been here before and then got a mail to stop by from an admin. and say hello on my old membership. So glad I did. This is probably one of the better by far Jeep forums I have run across and it is run like I run my own. We started one for the same reasons you state above.

So, lots of great folks here, very professional and fun place and devoted folks to the Jeep mark, for sure.

Here is my forum also;

Behold Jeep Forum

Welcome, and glad you are here and you will find no problems here at all, but a lot of fun and good info.

Hat tipped,

Robert

It's great to have you here Gus. Likewise to ALL of our members that support and share their knowledge, experience and humors. Thanks ya'll!!

Thanks Mike n Robert,
A similie of my experience on that forum would be like;
Hi gang, I'm Gus and I own/working on a '78 CJ5. It's great to find a group dedicated to this as I have great interest.
You just had the misfortune of buying a crappy off road rig. Jeeps are garbage.
Yep Jeep sucks worse than Hummer I had one and loved it and have tried to get it's performance off road.
Your Jeep is one of the worst off road vehicles ever built made for the price (or just in general). In fact the company makes such fraudulent claims about their products.
is this a real thread?
I mean, how can someone who has used OHV's for 30 years not know about Hummer.
OP, you have a lot of learning and researching to do as others have stated. However, after reading this post I strongly suggest you take your Jeep and put it in a pot of boiling oil for 10 minutes and then take a hammer to it in your drive way.

These are verbatim responses paraphrased from the radar detector forum that I got from just a hey how do ya do post, all within half a day. It was like dogpile on Gus day or something. That being said, I'm not thin skinned and am a former Marine but geez, I dont get the incivility.

Wow...that's ridiculous. What a bunch of jerks. The bright side is....you've always got us! We're certainly glad to have ya.

Jeeps and garbage shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. Sounds to me like they have quite a bit of researching to do themselves. Have you ever heard of a hummer still going strong after 200000 miles? I think not. Those things break themselves driving over a little rock...I know just the vid. Its coming.

Thanks Mike n Robert,
A similie of my experience on that forum would be like;
Hi gang, I'm Gus and I own/working on a '78 CJ5. It's great to find a group dedicated to this as I have great interest.
You just had the misfortune of buying a crappy off road rig. Jeeps are garbage.
Yep Jeep sucks worse than Hummer I had one and loved it and have tried to get it's performance off road.
Your Jeep is one of the worst off road vehicles ever built made for the price (or just in general). In fact the company makes such fraudulent claims about their products.
is this a real thread?
I mean, how can someone who has used OHV's for 30 years not know about Hummer.
OP, you have a lot of learning and researching to do as others have stated. However, after reading this post I strongly suggest you take your Jeep and put it in a pot of boiling oil for 10 minutes and then take a hammer to it in your drive way.

These are verbatim responses paraphrased from the radar detector forum that I got from just a hey how do ya do post, all within half a day. It was like dogpile on Gus day or something. That being said, I'm not thin skinned and am a former Marine but geez, I dont get the incivility.

Ok, this is typical of the ilk. I'll share just one:

"Hey VEX, did you kill your dead wife, like you lie about all your Jeep *hit?"

I'd love to meet this lifeform in person.

That was on the Pirate 4x4 Site. Also a bunch from the JeepForum site. A bunch of them even got me conned to go over to the "Expedition Portal" site and I lasted 4 hours. They were waiting. They attacked by the droves, then reported me and I was banned.

Intriguing. Was it a vBulletin hosted forum at that radar site?

Well, here you don't have to deal with that. Its just fun and good Jeeps and very very helpful good people. There is a lot of husband wife teams here too, I am learning and that is a real blast also as they share their work, rigs and experience.

I am going to promote this forum from my own forum site and on the many other NASA based sites I post on. This is a very good forum.

Glad you're here.

Robert

Last edited:
Jeeps and garbage shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. Sounds to me like they have quite a bit of researching to do themselves. Have you ever heard of a hummer still going strong after 200000 miles? I think not. Those things break themselves driving over a little rock...I know just the vid. Its coming.

This is a rather profound and extremely accurate statement you've made. Here's more, in reality as well:

The USA is a very very "wide" place. By that I mean, it is is the only place on Earth that has a 12' right away on every road, freeway, thruway, even side road, with few exceptions. The rest of the world is "NARROW". It is based on the chariot wheels of the Appian way--4' 81/2"--which happens to be the world standard for the gauge of Standard Gauge RR Tracks. It comes from the Roman times.

All the Earth is based on this standard and for off road tracks as well, with 12" on either side. That is why my overall width of VEX is 60"--5 feet.

Ok, with that qualifier, other than the open desert reaches of the Earth, Hummers cannot leave the dock or navigate in 89% of the countries on Earth, as they cannot get off the dock, let alone get into the bush. A reality that defies all logic and why they made them in the first place is beyond me.

Ask any Iraqi vet who drives a Jeep who as been deployed.

Bizarre.

Robert

Welcome. I don't post a lot but it's a nice bunch of people.
BTW, I've had a Valentine ONE for over ten years. Saved my butt a bunch of times.

I've a Uniden 'Talker' from the '80's and since Oregon Troopers and Mounties still use X and K band it's worked very well for me.
Last Christmas I got as a gift a Rocky Mountain Radar unit that everyone was dumping on, can't say it performs as far distant as the old Uniden but has many more bands capability.

Hummers suck. Drove one in Korea off road to check a range and it sank up to the doors and had to be pulled out by a crane and could not even be winched or jerked out. This was a military HMMWV without any armor the old ones that were fairly light. So yes Hummers and HMMWV's do suck at offroad.

BTW what sight was that done to you on. I think maybe we oughta pay them a visit and bombard their website with jeepers. Not saying be mean but lets say do a hostile takeover.

There are other sites? lol

This is the only one I need or use.

As far as the forums mods,They do a great job of stopping problems quickly in the couple times there has been problems.

I have been here for a year or so and know of two incidents where the Mods had to step in,and it wasn't people flaming the poster,it was more the poster being a jerk.

Back